Padlock to right of contacts

In the list of contacts on my iPhone, there is a padlock to the right of some of the names. What does that mean?

Top Replies

All Replies

• inReach Messenger iPhone Contacts

• There are several forum posts about this. None of them seems to have a definitive solution. The padlock MEANS that you cannot delete the contact. As to why? That's the part that's fuzzy.

It's just my opinion. But I make it a point never to allow Garmin apps to access my iPhone contacts. Just seems to me like good hygiene.

• Hello ,

We are making some changes to how system contacts (with the lock icons) appear in the Messenger app. We appreciate your patience and will contact you when we have more details to share. If you wish to try removing the locked contact in the meantime, please try the following steps for a workaround. 

1. In Messenger app, go to the Device page
    2. Select Contacts
    3. Select Add Contact
    4. Select Import Contact
    5. Choose the contact for the same person showing as "read only" elsewhere in the app
    6. Make any desired edits to the contact
    7. Save the contact
    8. Force close the Messenger app and reopen to check the Contact list - the "read only" contact should be gone
  • Hi Garmin-Leslie,

This WA didn't work.

Can you pls provide a plan to fix this bug.

I added contact manually and for some reason Garmin decided that it is system contact and can't be deleted. I need to be able to delete that contact, or any contact I wish.

• Your Garmin Messenger app is taking from your iPhone contacts those which have either a phone number or email registered with Garmin. Thus they are automatically adding them as system contacts in your app. 

To remove all these "locked" contacts, go to your iPhone 1. Settings, 2. Privay & Security, 3. Contacts and then look for the Messenger app, click on the toggle switch to OFF.

This should remove all contacts that the Messenger app automatically added from your iPhone's contact directory. Only those you added through the Explore website or manually should appear. You now need to manually and individually add any other contacts you may want to store, these should appear unlocked without the padlock icon to the right of the name.

• contact is finally gone.

Thanks for the solution Thumbsup

• I contacted Garmin help through chat with the same issue and they recommended the same workaround given by Garmin-Leslie.  The step that is missing is that you have to uninstall and then reinstall the Messenger app at the end.

While it's nice that instructions work, it seems silly to have to update both Messenger AND the device.