How long should the M2 take to charge? Mine went from 14% to 72% in 6 hours!

Hi all, I have a brand new M2, last night I put it on charge while it showed  14% and 6 hrs later it only showed 72%

A quick Google revealed that at 1amp charge, its 1250mAh battery should take just over an hour, at even a lower charge rate of 0.5 amps its only 2.2hrs (in the spec it says that it limits charge current to 1 amp).

Garmin tech on chat support were no help, saying they didn't have specific info about charging rates.

In the event that the battery is not right ( I will repeat the test today, to check), what do I need to do to wipe any info from it so I can return it?

I appreciate any feedback, however anecdotal on this.

• Thanks Volker, I could use my mobile as alarm clock, but I would want it to leave a breadcrumb trail so I guess that means leaving it on but without tracking? Or would I have to have tracking on in order to leave breadcrumb trail?

This is so I can download gpx file at end of the trip.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member 11 months ago in reply to semmyroundel

Any decent mobile hiking app will do a way superior job to an inReach device on navigation and mapping.

It is not the device's primary purpose.

The inReach unit is for communication. Use something like OsmAnd for mapping and logging. 

A hidden breadcrumb trail is saved for the TracBack function.

For this function only the most recent 24 hours of tracking data is saved (at 10 minute log intervals).

• I always use my Fenix 7x for tracking and following a planned course, the mini 2 is my device only for messaging and, if needed, for SOS (of course I have loaded some waypoints etc on the mini 2 (as backup)). And I carry a small and light battery pack and a small and light foldable salar panel (if there is sun, it works great to load my Fenix 7 and mini 2 during a longer break etc (yesterday (very sunny) I got about 12% battery/ hr for my mini 2).

• Doing nothing with clear view of sky it lost 8% in 24 hrs, not great considering it wasn't doing any tracking but not bad enough to send it back.