yearly insurance?

What are the benefits other than the cost of sending responders to the SOS in having this insurance? I've read all the small print and there's so much of it , I started to go cross eyed.

Could someone point out in simple terms?

please?

• Former Member
    0 Former Member 11 months ago

I have the Garmin SAR product for the purpose of Search.

It is normal that medical travel insurance policies only include rescue/medevac from known position.

Search is purchased as a separate and expensive product.

In some countries government agencies will search for you without cost, but many places will not initiate a search without direction and payment. A search is an open-ended process that theoretically has no limit in possible money or time and resources spent.

Also, it’s good to have a first-hand policy that covers helicopter transport, so that the IERCC does not need to check with my main insurance provider before initiating.

The emergency to be covered must be activated from an inReach device, so Garmin will always have your initial position/general location, but I can imagine situations where there must be a coordinated search involved for me to be found.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/906397

• Hi Edvard, thank you for that comprehensive answer, I fully understand the differences between services now.

Initially, I'm going to use the mapshare facility using preset messages on a trip around France and Spain (some of the mountains in Spain where I go on bike have no cell coverage) so people can keep track of where I am, so being in Western Europe, I don't see the need for it at the moment. On next trip through central Asdia, it'll be needed.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member 11 months ago in reply to semmyroundel

Just be clear that the Garmin SAR does not cover anything medical, only transport.