What's the difference between location pings and send/track points in layman's terms?

Hi, I have ordered an M2. I was going to use it on safety plan but wanted to know what costs were going to be involved in this.

There are two ways I was going to use it, one was with map share, and I was going to manually upload way points, the other not using map share but manually sending my wife way pooints so she can see where I am , say on google maps.

What I haven't managed to work out is what the cost are going to be with refrence to the above?

• Ok, having read twolpert's answer to a general question, I think for the moment the cheapest way to get started is to send check-in messages to people AND mapshare.

That way people can see where I am for no cost right?

All I have to do is to figure out how to send those free check-in messages quickly from the M2 as I'll be soon on a motorbike trip

• If you sent your wife your coorordinates via a message, it counts against your plan.

Sharing Your Current Location

1. From the home page, press or to scroll through the widget glances.
    2. Select Navigation, and scroll to your GPS coordinates.
    3. Press OK to open the options menu.
    4. Select Share With to send your location details as text within a message.

send/track points costs $0,10 each point

With the Safety plan, there is an additional cost per point (varies by currency) using the Send Interval. As an example, if your Send Interval is set to 30 minutes and you had tracking on for 1 hour, you would be charged for 3 track points. For more details, see - inReach Subscription Plan Options and Feature Information.

I would use (free) ckeck-in messages with location data:

• Location information can be included with Check-In messages by configuring SMS message preferences in Account settings on the Garmin Explore website. Location data is automatically included for Check-In messages sent to email recipients or other inReach users.

1. Log into the Garmin Explore website.
      2. Select ACCOUNT.
      3. Scroll down the page to SMS Message Configuration.
      4. Check the first two boxes to include location.

NOTE: The position format for latitude and longitude coordinates sent in Check-In messages are set to Decimal Degrees (WGS84) by default and cannot be changed.

support.garmin.com/.../

• Many thanks Volcker. Could I send the free message to a Facebook forum too?

• What Contact Options Are There for Sending a Check-In Message? Can I Send Social Messages Using the Check-In Message?

• Check-In messages can be sent to phone (SMS text) numbers, e-mail addresses, and other inReach devices.
    • You can send to Facebook, Twitter and MapShare using Check-In messages at no additional cost. You must have Facebook and Twitter linked to your account to see the option to include them in check-ins. 
      • For information on linking a Facebook or Twitter account, see -

It´s already in my link aboveWink