General questions concerning contacts and general use

Hi. I just got my account going. Currently on basic, but plan to upgrade to personal soon. I'm not understanding contacts. What I WANT to do is create a list of emails that my check in messages goes to. Is this contacts? If not, how do I create that list of emails? Are contacts separate from Emergency contacts? 

I assume that without tracks turned on there's no way to look at the map and tell where I am? Or will this still work, only showing where I'm currently at?

Any help or advice most appreciated.

• Contacts are not the same as the recipient lists for check-in messages. The check-in message recipients are established at explore.garmin.com, on the messages tab. This is a list of SMS numbers and/or email addresses. That list is independent of everything else. This works because preset messages (or check-in messages, if you subjected yourself to that "upgrade") are processed entirely on the Garmin servers. When you send a presset/check-in from the device, the device essentially sends a code which means "message 1/2/3". Server fetches up the text and recipient list and sends it.

Emergency contacts are also not "contacts" in the normal sense. Emergency contacts are part of the account profile. They are pretty much used only if you send an SOS. In that case, this information is used by IERCC to get in touch with your emergency contacts. Either to keep them apprised of the situation or to see if they have additional useful information (for example, your intended itinerary or medical information).

So, what is a "normal contact"? And why would you want one? A normal contact represents a person. Each contact might have an associated SMS number, email address, and/or inReach device address. You establish your list of contacts on the Contacts tab at explore.garmin.com. (These are called "personal contacts.") Once you have set them up there, you need to sync them to your device. How you do that depends on the device. For the M2, this is likely to be the Explore mobile app (unless you choose to torture yourself with Messenger). When you send a message from the device (or from a paired mobile app), you can easily address the message to one or more contacts by choosing from the contact list. If the contact has more than one "address" (for example, SMS and email), you can choose the address(es) to use. 

So why do this? Two reasons: First, it saves you from typing SMS numbers or email addresses. This process is error-prone (and, on devices like the M2, incredibly inefficient and annoying). Second, the actual message which the device sends contains a short code for each contact - rather than the longer email address or whatever. The short message service (used by iR devices) has a maximum message length. That length includes both the recipient addresses AND the actual message text. The longer the address list, the less space you have for message text.

One possible point of confusion: A paired mobile map will allow you to access the "contacts" on your phone. These are not the same as "personal contacts" described above. Using the app, you can address messages to your phone contacts. This does save you from "typing" addresses. But it does NOT shorten the address list. These phone contact addresses are inserted into the message just as if you had typed them...

IMO, the only way to guarantee that your location appears on the map is to track (send points via satellite). If you poke around the forums, you will find suggestions for how to show location without tracking. (For example, what about sending a free preset or check-in message from time to time? What about "locate" from MapShare. And so on.) Some of those things "work" in limited circumstances. Overall, though, I think people are trying to save a few bucks at the expense of safety. On the cheapest "safety" plan, a track point costs $0.10 (in the US). If you track at 10 minute intervals, that's $0.60 an hour. For a 10 hour hiking day, that's $6. Am I going to risk my life for $6 a day? Not me, anyway.

Note that 3 days at $6/day comes pretty close to making up the cost difference between the safety plan and the recreational plan. The recreational plan allows unlimited "free" track points.

So why is tracking the safest approach? After all, if I get in real trouble, I can send an SOS message which will include my location. What if I am disabled (unconscious) and cannot send the SOS? What if I become stuck in a location with no iR reception (slot canyon, for example). If I was tracking, my last track point gives SAR (once notified that I am overdue for a check-in) a starting point for the search.

In addition, of course, the track gives the folks at home reassurance that I am moving.

Just noticed that I made an assumption above. You DO have a pre-arranged message schedule for checking in with folks at home, right? Even with tracking enabled, this is an essential part of back-country safety.

• Fantastic response. Thank you. I plan to upgrade to recreational with full tracking soon. I'm not gone yet. And we'll see. Its almost $300 more. Pre-arranged message schedule. No. I have not set up anything like this - was planning on using the inreach and tracking for this - mostly. I have the Mini 2. Something to consider though. Later today I will read this again and take care of the check in list. Again - many thanks. Detailed explanations and great advice.

• My cost analysis was based on one month of the "monthly" (aka "freedom") plan. The monthly plan can be suspended for time periods when you don't need coverage. A lot of people do not use the device year-round. The monthly plan can save you substantial dollars if you only use the device a few months a year. The fixed costs (for example, the annual program fee for the freedom plans) are the same no matter which level you choose (safety, recreational, expedition).

• I'm going around the world on a motorcycle. Will be out there for the next 10 years. The yearly plan makes most sense in this case. but the recreation plan is more than double. Gonna do it anyway and charge for real time info....hopefully cover that cost.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member 11 months ago in reply to twolpert
    IMO, the only way to guarantee that your location appears on the map is to track (send points via satellite). If you poke around the forums, you will find suggestions for how to show location without tracking. (For example, what about sending a free preset or check-in message from time to time? What about "locate" from MapShare. And so on.) Some of those things "work" in limited circumstances.

Sending a free preset message will update the recipient and MapShare with your location.

That works just as accurate and stable as an upload from tracking.

This type of message constitutes the majority of all my inReach communication. I do not use tracking. Other messages I send directly to contacts not on my preset list are treated by Iridium equally to the preset ones.

• Now that's interesting.....I imagine its not as detailed as with tracking - meaning it draws a line between messages but not necessarily if you take a side trip down a road and don't message.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member 11 months ago in reply to 8834665

A message upload contains the location at the time of selecting send. Nothing more. It's just a marker.

The location itself is as precise and detailed as in tracking.

An SMS or email will have a link to online map for the recipient to view. On MapShare the location will be shown as a blue marker with: Your message text, time stamp, elevation, speed/course if moving, battery status of device and GPS coordinates.

The recipient is given an option to reply to your message.

• Replies to SMS messages from iR devices are handled by the standard messaging app on your phone. Replies to email messages from iR devices require the use of the map link in the original email and the resulting web page. This is an anti-spam defense.

Inclusion of the map link in an SMS is optional, depending on your settings on the Account tab (lower right corner) at explore.garmin.com. In some cases, the presence of the shortened link to the map page causes the recipient's cell provider to suppress the SMS message as spam. The important thing here is that THIS map (unlike the one for email) does not provide for a reply - and is not needed to reply.

There is no "line between messages." The message appears as an isolated point on the map. It has a different icon than a track point. 

Yes, sending a free preset/check-in message establishes your location for the viewer, but only if MapShare was an explicit recipient of the message. That is, only messages addressed to MapShare (possibly among other recipients) appear there.

This is a perfectly acceptable way of establishing location. AND of providing for the pre-arranged "checking in" with the folks at home. Still does not cover the cases where you can't send the check-in OR the SOS, though. Hence my preference for running tracks.

Worth noting that there are also scenarios where tracking makes no real sense. For example, I know people who run cross-country in the back country on a daily basis. They carry an inReach device purely for emergency use. The people at home know where he is running, how long he'll be out, and so forth. No need for tracks in that situation.

• Replies to SMS messages from iR devices are handled by the standard messaging app on your phone

Except you have paired the mini 2 with the Messenger App, correct? The Messenger app is hijacking your phone number and it is only working via the messenger app.So if wanted, better use the Explore app, which isn’t hijacking your phone number…