explore - messenger - or both - and 2FA question

Two apps are available for the inreach mini 2. I have explore already working on my PC with the inreach as well. Do I need messenger? Also, looking at the messenger app, it requires a 2FA like code to be sent for install. I'm going around the world and my phone number will be changing in every country I visit. Keeping up =with 2FA on banking, gps, accounts and everything will be a nightmare. For the messenger app, is this easily updated or can there be a secondary way to handle 2FA on this app? Thank you.

• Unless you want the to use Internet or group messaging, you do not need the Messenger app. Not everyone agrees that these functions are worth the irritation (see below).

When you "install" the Messenger app, it effectively hijacks your phone number. This is why there is 2FA on installation. You need to prove that you have control of the phone number. Once you "install" it this way, all SMS messages directed to that number from within the Garmin ecosystem will be delivered via the Messenger app. Such messages will NOT be displayed in the normal text messaging app on your phone. Text messages from outside the Garmin ecosystem will be delivered normally.

This has all kinds of unanticipated consequences. Particularly if the other party to the conversation has "installed" the Messenger app in this way. And it depends on the availability of cellular data coverage. And so on...

It IS possible to install the Messenger app without registering the phone number. It is also possible to "unregister" the phone number later. This disables Internet messaging and group messaging.

I can certainly see where the entire process would be a mess if you are switching SIMs (whether it's changing physical SIM cards or switching among eSIMs on an iPhone). If you want Internet and group messaging, you will have to register the number. And you will have to re-register each time you swap SIMs.

• Thank you. I'll not be using messenger.