Integration with Gaia GPS

As a complete newby to INReach Mini 2, I was hoping someone could guide me to a good instructional video, book, whatever, to learn how to use the device with various apps like gaia GPS, AllTrails, etc. Also wondering how to integrate with Garmin Explore and my Fenix 6 Pro Solar

Thank You

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 1 year ago

What kind of integration are you looking for?

inReach Mini 2 is a primarily a communication device. Everything else your mobile hiking app does better.

• I was hoping that when I find maps, routes, etc., on mobile apps, I could use the Inreach to track my route and make sure I don't get off course among other things. The mobile device often has no signal out back so I would not want to rely on that as a primary guide.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 1 year ago in reply to vanderloo

As mentioned, your mobile app will do that better than the inReach Mini 2.

Navigation needs no cell signal, maps/routes can be downloaded for offline use, and GPS runs in the background in Airplane mode, consuming very little battery. My experience is with iPhone, I assume Android has same functionality.

Anywhere your Garmin device can get a location from GPS/GNSS, your phone can also.

YouTube videos on your chosen app will explain how all this works and teach use.

For basic navigation and mapping, and to create routes (called courses) the Garmin Explore app does a god job. It will also calculate distance and make a simple elevation profile. Topographic maps can be downloaded.

Garmin Explore app on navigation works totally independent of the inReach device, meaning it does not need the Mini 2 to be turned on.

The app has the benefit of syncing your saved courses to the Mini 2, so you can use the rudimentary navigation and map feature on the device in case your mobile becomes unusable.

It's a good backup in addition to having these routes on a third-party hiking app.

• support.garmin.com/.../

You can upload the course to your mini 2 and follow the course on the mini 2 display (breadcrumb view/no map) Or you use the course on your Fenix 6 with a real map on the display. Both is possible, you should try both to get the feeling for it and have a look, which way you like more. I prefer the course on a wearable with a real map in the background.

avoidingchores.com/how-to-export-gaia-gps-tracks-to-garmin

• On an iOS device, the iR units integrate directly with location services when paired with the phone. The iR device will automatically be available to any GPS-enabled app which uses location services. However, no app allows you to choose among available GPS devices.

Even if you could choose, you would not want to use iR devices this way. They conserve battery at the expense of fix accuracy and timeliness. Much better off with the phone's integrated GPS receiver. Which is what you normally get - because it offers the best accuracy.

All I know about Android is that the device does NOT automatically integrate with anything.