Can't message SMS/Text number, but email and mapshare works ok.

I've just purchased an inreach mini 2. I've gone through the setup and have most things working, except messaging to mobile numbers (SMS/Text). I can send to mapshare and also to email addresses via check-in and direct messages. I have tried a large number of number combos, adding zeros, changing settings and still no luck. I've synchronised and checked for the successful sync. But no luck. I'm in New Zealand and actually work for the mobile company that I'm messaging, I have also tried another mobile carrier to the same result.
The support desk for us in New Zealand is in Australia and doesn't open for hours and there is no chat support. I'm off on a trip tomorrow, where I planned to use the inreach but it's getting more unlikely I will be able to.
Any help or suggestions appreciated!

Ben

• This is not exactly your mentioned problem, but maybe there is a connection:

support.garmin.com/.../

• First thing is to be sure that you are entering the target SMS number correctly. You must include the appropriate dialing prefixes for the target country.

Typically, the Garmin servers append a short link to every outbound SMS message. This leads to a web page which shows the location from which the message was sent. Some cell providers consider EVERY message containing a shortened link to be spam - so they do not deliver it. You can suppress the short link from the Account tab at explore.garmin.com. See the SMS Message Configuration in the lower right corner. Be sure the box for "include a link..." is not checked.

Since you can send email, I am pretty sure that your messages are getting to the Garmin servers. But you might want to check the Inbox tab at explore.garmin.com to be sure.

Finally, if you are using a "contact" as the recipient, you might try typing the phone number into the unit (or the app) instead. If the unit and the information at explore.garmin.com are not in sync, messages can be delivered to the wrong recipient. Or not delivered at all.