Few questions following from watching couple of youtube videos...

Hi, me and my wife are thinking of getting mini2, or messenger or mini. that's still undecided (due to costs, especially option to buy used mini1).
But question would be working for all 3 devices etc.

1. i know ideal situation is to have view of clear sky to send msgs, but where we hike it would be tall thick coverage of trees - how likely it is that it will still work? - lets go with example of amazon jungle - would device still work under those thick trees?

2. in one of the videos someone said that some txt msgs take even like 20-30min or longer to send - and mentioned something that maybe there is a que of users sending/using satelite bandwith and that is the reason for delay. -> is this true? is there some kind of avarage send/receive time?

3. assuming someone will press sos button to get help (and in some videos it says emergency services will reach back to u to get more info) what happens if the person that presses the SOS button did this after falling dawn etc, and it was their last effort before they faint etc. and wont be able to reply. Will help be still sent/considered needed or will services just cancel it?

4. if pressing sos button is there an option to get text msg to selected person about it, ie. i press sos on my mtb trip, and activate sos - would my wife know it - is there option for it.

Top Replies

All Replies

• I would go for a mini 2 or a messenger. The mini 2 has a significant better battery as the mini (the messenger better as the mini 2). The best antenna of all has the new messenger. The mini 2 has a electronic compass and you can view your tracks on the display and log them, while the messenger and the mini doesn’t have this. But in combination with a Garmin wearable with maps and navigation functionality, the messenger is the best choice for me (I have a messenger and use it in combination with a Fenix 7x (or anEdge 1040).

If you trigger an sos an can’t respond anymore, they will sent anyway a rescue team to your sent position.

If you have triggered an sos, after sending the rescue team to your position, they will contact your deposited emergency contact persons.

https://youtu.be/vEaF2Atxo-s

support.garmin.com/.../

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 1 year ago

You are unlikely to get an Iridium signal useful for messages in dense vegetation with the inReach Mini 2. Perhaps if the satellite passes close to you overhead, it could happen. Plan communication stops in open areas.

No capacity cap or restrictions, the data amounts sent are minute. All you need is to get in touch with a satellite that cruises by: https://iridiumwhere.com/

Overview of the inReach Mini 2 and SOS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXFCODJwXME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmTScnaB4yw

I recommend the Mini 2 over the Mini, the improvements are significant.

• we both have epix2 watches so that's not the problem. i know messenger has better (stronger) atenna, but it' just doesnt have the mounting capabilities like mini 1&2.
    well i guess it's still undecided

• so there is no que for sending etc, just delays from possibly reaching satelite with signal etc?

planing communication stops in open areas is ok - but emergencies can happen anywhere :) 

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 1 year ago in reply to WojciechP.

I’ve never heard about message queuing being an issue or cause of delay.

planing communication stops in open areas is ok - but emergencies can happen anywhere :) 

These are the limitations of handheld satcom devices from commercial operators. If you specifically need coms for Jungle, see if SPOT, Thuraya, Globalstar or Inmarsat can do a better job. Maybe one day Starlink will have integration into a small device.

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?identifier=765374&faq=w4vDcAd7abAXvhPIXzpkB6&tab=topics

However, if you are in an area that does not have open space, a road, or a riverbed within reasonable walking distance, what kind of emergency response do you expect to get?

• With regard to (1), very heavy foliage does affect sky view. It is much worse when the leaves are wet. You don't have a choice of location in an emergency - but it may be necessary to move to send. Your ability to send from a fixed location can vary with time. Iridium satellites are in low orbits. They transit the sky quickly. Satellites in different planes appear at different distances above the horizon. Lots of moving parts and lots of variables.

With regard to (2), delays in sending are almost always due to poor sky view. AFAIK, there are no bandwidth limits which would affect the time needed to get a message out. iR devices use the Iridium "short text message" protocol. It has very low bandwidth requirements.

"Poor sky view" might be due to terrain (narrow defile, proximity to high bluffs, etc.). Or it might be due to the way you carry the device. Conventional wisdom says that the best place to carry M1/M2 are high on your shoulder (for example, on a pack strap).

• Yes the lack of official mounting stuff is…

We have a thread with some nice third party mounting solutions for the messenger:

forums.garmin.com/.../share-your-mounting-solutions-ideas

• mini2:                                                                            messenger

great mouning system                                            only lanyard hole

Can save 1000 waypoints/favorites/                                                                                                                                      saved location, 100 courses/200tracks/activities   not available (n. a.)

Point to Point navigation                                         n. a.

Compatible wit Explore app                                    n. a. (yet)

Compass (tilt-compensated 3-axis)                    n. a.

Compatible with messenger app                        yes

changeable coordinate system                           n. a (yet)

better antenna

almost double battery life

cheaper  

From a stand alone use standpoint (perhaps in combination with the messenger app and the explore app), I think I would take the mini 2, in combination with a (Garmin) wearable or handheld, I would take the messenger.

• thank you for all the answeres, i guess it could be the case of buing the units and testing them in real life.
    if they don't ork as thy supposd to i think there is 14days return policy (as per UK law). 

only cost would be device activation charge and 1month of montly plan. and could be some costs related to return shipping.

will check with garmin if that is possible

actually back on the buy and return - forgot that i can rent the units from company in uk and test that way :D

• forgot that i can rent the units from company in uk and test that way :D

That maybe a cheaper and less stressfull procedure as to buy, activate (additional activation fee), cancel activation and return it.