Share your experience with Garmin inReach Mini 2?

Thinking about purchasing one, but wondering if others have found it useful. Thanks!

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 1 year ago

Why do you think you need a Garmin inReach Mini 2?

What are you going to use it for?

Reviews: www.google.com/search

• I purchased my mini 2 last fall for backpacking trips with my 2 sons, 12 and 9. I wanted them to have a way to contact someone for help if I would die in the woods. We normally hike with someone that has a spot unit but they have been going less frequently and my boys wanted to go more. We have only used it twice so far and it worked as advertised be it a little slow to send/receive but I guess I'm comparing that to standard cell phone text messages. The boys take turns carrying it and sending messages so they know how to work it. I showed them how to do everything from the mini 2 and do not have it linked to my phone in case it would be broken or have a dead battery. I know nothing works 100% these days but I feel a lot better knowing they can at least try to contact help if something were to happen to me while on a trip.

• I just bought the Mini 2 for backpacking.  I like to solo backpack for the last 4-5 years and my wife has always been really nervous about going solo, so I finally bit the bullet and bought the Mini 2.  Going out next weekend using it for the first time.  I will see how it works..........

• I  bought my Mini 2 about a year ago.  I previously had an ACR Bivy Stick and wasn’t that impressed but used it for hiking & backpacking for about a year.  I’ve loved the Mini 2 though…for me it has the exact right feature set for friends/family to follow me, to keep in touch, and to reach out in an emergency.  I’ve used the SOS feature once, in May of last year when I got my Highlander stuck in the snow in the Sierra backcountry due to being under-prepared for self rescue.  We had food/shelter etc, but it was good to reach out to get a tow, without calling in a full SAR team.  In the end, another explorer crossed paths and helped pull us out and we were on our way.  It was also nice to keep family in the loop and let the incoming SOS assist know that we had recovered and they could cancel their effort.  I was so impressed with the Mini 2 that a few months later I also bought a Fenix 7 SS, which I also love.

• I just bought one and used it for the first time last weekend for a remote hike. The setup is very clunky (e.g. inReach mini 2 says "Use Garmin Messenger app" when you actually use the Garmin Explore app). The weather forecast feature was very important to me over the weekend but it failed to work. The device was stuck on "Updating". Now home I have reset the device 3 times and am still unable to get a weather forecast. The weather request function on the Garmin Explore app says "Device not connected" but elsewhere in the app AND on the device is says my iPhone is connected. What does this error message mean? The only option for Customer Service I can find is to actually ring. Where's an email address? 
    The software update took some time to complete however while the device says it's on the latest version the Explore app is telling me the update hasn't completed. 
    The Check-in message feature was useful, GPS functionality was good but slow (I used my iPhone to navigate). When I got home I changed the option from GPS only to multi GNSS. I hope this speeds up GPS acquisition. 
    I have been in IT for over 20 years and consider myself technically advanced (I run a Mac, Windows laptop and Chromebook at home). The Garmin inReach Mini 2 apps and device interface have me regularly scratching my head. Maybe I'm expecting too much. I will persist because I think the device will be helpful.  

• I believe you can still use the M2 with EITHER the Explore or the Messenger app. Explore is better for navigation. Messenger is better for messaging if you have a cell phone data connection.

For F/W updates, you are better off with a wired connection to a PC. Use Garmin Express to do the update. Because the phone connection is relatively low bandwidth BT, I think the app attempts an "incremental" update. Don't know about the M2, but this seems to fail consistently with the Messenger.

The available support options depend on time of day (wherever Garmin is located for your region). Everybody hates being put on hold. But phone or chat really IS better. Email has a reputation for being a black hole. Requests in, nothing out.

If you can send and receive messages with the device, weather should work. If you can't send/receive messages, open a support ticket.

Both the M1 and M2 are notorious for slow (or no) acquisition. Lousy antennas, I think. The conventional wisdom is to carry the unit high on your shoulder - for example, on a pack strap. Do not put it in your pocket. Do not put it in your pack. 

Also, make sure you have acquired a fix BEFORE you move out. The M2 uses an EPO file for almanac data. An expired EPO will result in very long acquisition times. You can check the EPO validity from system settings, about this device. I am not sure if the M1 uses an EPO or not.

• I finally received a weather forecast after deleting Explore and Messenger, resetting the device, and selecting Multi GNSS rather than GPS only. Then I requested a weather forecast on the device. 
    I use Chromebooks for personal use so actually bought a Windows laptop yesterday specifically to see if the Garmin Express app made any difference. It didn’t.

I first tried to get a weather forecast at home in my backyard a day before I left for my hike. I do wear the device on my backpack shoulder strap and had it clipped to a guy line outside of my tarp with clear view of the sky at the camp site.

• Perhaps Explore and Messenger app have mixed something up? As far as I know, you can use the Explore app for messaging, weather forecasts and SOS- if the messenger app is paired for the mini 2, too, messages, weather and SOS are handled via the messenger app, even when you are using the Explore app. The only benefit of the messenger app is the use of Wifi/phone cell coverage, if available (as far as I understand it).

• I have not tried the M2 with Messenger and Explore. I would not be surprised if this was the case (Messenger app preferred when both  are in use). If so, it's yet another evil side effect of the mess Garmin has made of the app space.

• I think a lot of users would prefer : one to rule them all (damned, where have I heard that beforeInnocent)!

Supplement: but that is from my user standpoint without any knowledge about Garmins intention about it…Wink