problem with receiving sms

Good morning all,
best wishes for users of Inreach products...
I have a problem with the reception of the sms that I send from a Mini 2, I specify that I have two models and that I have the same problem with both...
with my old Mini 1, there was no problem with receiving sms, I sent pre-recorded sms from the Mini 1 directly or from Explore,
with the Mini 2 at the beginning, I proceeded in the same way, I coupled my Mini 2 with my Montana 700 and my S22 Ultra, I could use the M700 for a fast sending of pre-recorded messages or a new sms, I found the conversation in Explore on my S22U, but Garmin made several updates and they introduced Messenger,
we can therefore send sms from: Explore, Messenger, from my M700 or from the Mini 2, it's starting to get complicated...
wanting to make it simple and possibly be able to lend my M700 and the Mini 2 without having to load applications on a third-party smartphone, I thought it would work but since that day, I realized that I could no longer receive text messages on a basic phone which would not have the Explore or Messenger app,
I hope that Garmin is not going to impose one of these applications "just" to receive sms, it was easy to receive them, fast sending even from the Mini 2 and reception directly in the sms application of the telephone concerned, sms to which or could respond directly, going through an application would complicate sending, since Messenger duplicates the application installed on the smartphone.
another problem too, I realized that on the M700, I could no longer send new sms because if I press "new sms" it switches to the list of contacts that I have synchronized with Explore, if I don't I can't use Explore, I can only send an sms with the contacts present,
before by pressing "new message", the keyboard appeared which then allowed to type a number which would not be in the list synchronized with Explore previously.
it's getting complicated to be able to find your way around, it was simple before...
Thank you to anyone who can help me with these various issues I'm having.
for the problem of making the keyboard appear on "new messages" the Garmin after-sales service that I contacted did not give me an answer, they did not know where the problem came from, apart from resetting the M700, they did not had no other answer...and again no guarantee of result.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 1 year ago
    I realized that I could no longer receive text messages on a basic phone which would not have the Explore or Messenger app

To clarify. If you send an SMS from the inReach Mini 2 device itself, to a mobile number that has no Garmin software loaded and is not found in your Garmin contact list, the SMS is not delivered to recipient?

What country is the device being used in?

• hello everyone, yes that's right, if I just try to send an sms to myself on my S22U, whether it's pre-recorded or I write a new one, it goes well but never arrives on my phone, I have to reinstall Messenger for it  to work, and in this case it arrives well, not normal, you can't know in advance who you came to send an sms to .
    I am located in France, until now, with the M1 or even at the beginning with the M2, I received the sms with the telephone number corresponding to a mobile, sms to which the person could reply without paying a surcharge like this  is the case with sending to a satellite device, it wouldn't be cool if we had to put an app, maybe Garmin decided to save on sending sms, it was afraid it would be too expensive for each country  ?

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 1 year ago in reply to MONTANA650T

> If you send an SMS from the inReach Mini 2 device itself

That means sending an SMS from the device alone, not via an app or watch.

to a mobile number that has no Garmin software loaded and is not found in your Garmin contact list

That would not be your own S22U phone, as you have Garmin software installed and your phone number is in the Garming contact list.

Test what I suggested and see what happens.

received the sms with the telephone number corresponding to a mobile, sms to which the person could reply without paying a surcharge like this  is the case with sending to a satellite device

What do you mean by this? 

All replies to an outgoing SMS via inReach will be counted against your Garmin subscription plan.

There is no “free” way of receiving text messages via Iridium.

https://support.garmin.com/en-AU/?faq=4DQEVs8psN4KdWnMfOSow6

Sending and receiving SMS messages works perfectly fine here, using Garmin Explore on iOS and the Mini 2.

• Goodnight all,
    here, I was blocked for work part of the day inside a building and even if the Mini 2 goes very well even inside a house, I waited to be more quiet to redo some tests,
    I finally understood why I was not receiving the Inreach messages that I sent myself on my S22U, I was thinking about a parameter of my S22 which was blocking,
    having done a test sending messages to another phone that was not equipped with any Garmin application, it worked,
    so it was my S22 that was the problem,
    thank you for putting me on the right track EDVARD even with Explore and Messenger uninstalled, it didn't work,
    I reinstalled everything, resynchronized everything and I saw in the Messenger settings that there was a "delete account" function by doing this action, I deleted the application and at the same time emptied the settings that had to block the reception of my own messages, it worked and I could see that it was good, here is for this problem,
    but it's still a nice mix, why didn't Garmin improve Explore rather than create a new app?
    there are different settings in the 2 applications: being able to change the pre-recorded messages in Messenger, the cartography in Explore, why not have everything combined in the same application? not too easy to do without one or the other of these applications if you want full access to the parameters of the Mini 2 without access via a pc,
    with regard to free messages, I misunderstood EDVARD, I had understood that with the basic subscription that I have, I only have 10 sms included, we can still send some in " unlimited" with pre-recorded messages, always to the same correspondents, but this allows you not to blow up your Inreach budget to test as I did today,
    but when I mentioned free text messages it was in relation to those who receive them, as the number received is with a country code where the subscription is taken out, when the correspondents answer the text message sent by the Mini 2 it does not costs them nothing since the number is from the same country, which would not be the case with an Iridium satellite phone since the number would start with +881, and therefore would be surcharged by its gsm operator,
    it seems to me all the same that at certain resellers there are sites which allow you to send free sms to an Iridium phone,
    I did a trial with an Iridium Go and the costs were quite high,
    it was only with Thuraya that it was excellent, because the X5 Touch accepted sim cards from most national operators, if the gsm network is present, we go through the gsm, and in the absence of this network we can then go through Thuraya "with the same sim card" and it will then be the sim card operator who will invoice the out-of-package from the Thuraya network, the X5 even had the possibility of receiving 2 sim cards, one for the gsm and one for Thuraya. Globalstar had the same process and it was good not to have to subscribe to a satellite subscription...
    but I digress from my basic question, this problem being solved, I will find out why with my Montana 700, when I want to send a new message as soon as I press "A" to find my correspondent, it only switches to the list of contacts that I will have chosen and synchronized from Explore, this was not the case before certain updates, since it was then enough to type the number of his correspondent using the touchpad of the 700, why having also removed this function, it then made it possible to do without a smartphone and to only use the 700 and the Mini, if you go on an expedition and have forgotten to synchronize a contact, you will not be able to join...
    ah the changes made in Garmin...not always in the right direction...
    I will also wait for the S23U which promises with the same phone to have access to Iridium to send sms and small photos, if it works at a reduced cost, it will be a revolution in telephony, even if it is overtaxed I'm a buyer and will be free to take out a subscription to pay every month, I'm waiting for February and the release of S23U...

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 1 year ago in reply to MONTANA650T
    but when I mentioned free text messages it was in relation to those who receive them, as the number received is with a country code where the subscription is taken out, when the correspondents answer the text message sent by the Mini 2 it does not costs them nothing since the number is from the same country, which would not be the case with an Iridium satellite phone since the number would start with +881, and therefore would be surcharged by its gsm operator

Then you mentioned a non-existing problem.

• To be clear (or as clear as possible given the mess Garmin has made with the Messenger app and your cell number): 

Without considering the Messenger mess: A message sent from an iR device to a cell number arrives at the recipient's cell phone as an SMS message. The original message is charged against the sending device account. The recipient can reply to the message from the phone's SMS app. There is no charge to the recipient for this reply. There is another charge against the iR device account for the received reply.

Now, IF the recipient's cell number is associated with the Messenger app (that is, if you registered the cell number when setting up the Messenger app with the paired Messenger device or other compatible iR device), SMS messages from within the Garmin ecosystem are delivered to the phone via the Messenger app. NOT via the normal SMS app. For example, this occurs for any message sent from any iR device. This is supposed to be a feature. Not everybody has a favorable opinion of this feature.

As somebody, somewhere in the thread, noted - it is possible to disassociate the cell number from the Messenger app. I don't remember how, nor do I remember the proper term for doing this. And I certainly don't know how doing so impacts the use of the Messenger app itself. It DOES restore the use of the SMS app (rather than the Messenger app) for all SMS messages received by the phone - even those sent from within the Garmin ecosystem.

In some cases (depending on whether the Messenger app has cell data connectivity), messages travel via the Internet rather than via the iR satellite network. It's not clear (to me, anyhow) if messages delivered via the Internet are charged against the device's account. 

Note that none of this has anything whatever to do with actual sat phones. It only applies to Garmin inReach devices. Dragging a real sat phone into the discussion just confuses the issues.

None of this should have anything (directly) to do with available contacts when sending directly from an iR device. At a minimum, syncing the device (via a mobile app such as Explore, if necessary) should get you the contacts you created on your account at explore.garmin.com. There are scenarios (I THOUGHT only when using the Explore app to send, rather than device itself) where you can see ALL the contacts on your phone. In any case, you can ALWAYS type a recipient address (SMS number, email address, or whatever) on the device itself (or in the app if you are sending from there). The exception, of course, is preset messages which have fixed recipient lists.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 1 year ago in reply to twolpert
    It's not clear (to me, anyhow) if messages delivered via the Internet are charged against the device's account. 

Messages that do not count towards your plan's included message limit.

• Internet Messages
      • This is only applicable when using the Garmin Messenger app.
      • Messages sent or received while using the Garmin Messenger app will not count towards your plan's included message limit as long as your phone has cellular coverage available. If cellular coverage is not available, messages sent over satellite will still count towards your plan's included message limit.

support.garmin.com/.../

• Thanks. Had not run across that one. 

From a predictability standpoint, if you have a plan with a limited message quota, you must be aware that any message MIGHT be sent/received via satellite if you happen to drop out of cell coverage.

• thank you TWOLPERT for these details, yes I drifted on the phones and it ended up not being clear (I also go through Google translation which does not help), I redid various tests this day being located at the outside, but all these overlapping applications are not easy to manage, I sometimes receive pre-recorded messages that do not contain the tracking link.
    as I had specified above, my intention would be to be able to use my Montana 700 synchronized with the Mini 2 without using a smartphone (case of a loan of the two devices without having to load Messenger and Explore), to be able to write or even the telephone number of the correspondent to whom you want to send a message, but this function is no longer possible because you must already have synchronized your contact list from a smartphone, strange for a system that wants to be "autonomous" initially, and why recreate a new application? we generally use an sms application, it was "just" enough to complete Explore which was good to use by adding the management of your Inreach account that we find in Messenger,
    I liked using Earthmate with the Mini 1, it was simple and we knew we were going through Inreach, if the cellular network does not pass, you can see it on your phone just by looking at the network bars and in this case we use the dedicated Inreach application, wanting to put everything on the same application only complicates the shipments, especially since the two applications do not have the same functions in terms of parameters.

• I was not aware of the fact, that when a phone number is associated with messenger app at some point, it can not receive any SMS any more.

Looks like this is a killer criteria for international use of the messenger app.

While it is easy to have international roaming for phone service, international roaming for data connection can not be done so easy.

I have just tested with messenger and the phone used with it, and yes it is true, SMS are not delivered at all, unless the phone has mobile data connection.