Inreach mini 2

I justbought this device and having trouble setting it up.  I've setup a subscription and had problems with bluetooth connection to iphone 12 pro max.  I think I've got it working now so I login to garmin explore and try to edit preset (now called check in messages) and it seems I can only edit the recipients and not the actual text in the 3 messages.  The support help says you can but they are referring to 'preset' messages not 'check in' messages.  It seems like the support help is not up to date with the new naming.  Is it not possible to edit these messages?  This doesn't seem right to me.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

• To summarize that thread, this is behaving as designed. Nobody (except some Garmin project manager someplace) LIKES it, but that's the way it is.

Check-in messages have fixed text which you cannot edit, even at explore.garmin.com. You can change the recipients. Although it appears that you can edit the recipients for each of three messages separately, that is misleading. ALL three have the same recipients, no matter which recipient list you edit.

If you are given the option to "convert from preset messages the check-in messages", DO NOT do so. This is one-way street. No going back. Chances are that you did not have this option since it's a new account. New accounts use check-in no matter what.

If you do not like the loss of functionality, open a support ticket. It won't change your situation, but the more people who complain, the more likely it is that Garmin will reconsider.

• Thanks twolpert, I've read through the posts at the link and see now that this is just a ploy to increase income for Garmin.  Quite disappointing really as now those preset or chek-ins are not very useful,  I doubt I'll ever be sending 2 and 3.

This approach by Garmin will obviously increase the number of custom messages users will most likely want to use.

• Thanks Edward, the information there is useful but the Garmin approach is frustrating and really reduces the usefulness of these preset or now check-in messages.

• Hi Dobbo, I just bought the Mini 2 as well. The little manual booklet that came in the box even says "Sending a Preset Message:  Preset messages are messages that you created at explore.garmin.com."  I think Garmin is more into selling their product than making sure their product is up to date with their services.  It took me hours to finally figure out what was going on with their messaging system........

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 1 year ago in reply to 9485974
    I think Garmin is more into selling their product than making sure their product is up to date with their services.

A purchased Garmin device could be produced and packaged many months ago.

inReach software continuously evolves and is made available for download.

For the user manual, always refer to online documentation.

• Hi 948… and Edward,

Yes I agree, quite tedious to learn to operate…but not as bad as Basecamp lol.

Ive just returned from a week away with no phone reception in a mountainous heavily treed forest and had a lot of trouble sending messages with the mini2.  I changed the gps setting to use Multi GNSS, which may have helped slightly, but I could never tell if or when the mini2 had locked onto the satellites.  Most messages took at least an hour to send and I can’t find any way of telling if the mini2 has connected or the satellite system or not.  I think it would be very helpful if the device could show an icon once connected, or if it does can anyone tell me please?

I think if you needed to use sos in this area it may not actually work if you only had limited sky view.

thanks

Dobbo

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 1 year ago in reply to Dobbo62

Related to difficult signal environments, I'll drop in this question; in case a technical-minded user comes by.

Iridium has for some years had positioning capabilities via Satellite Time and Location (STL).

Is this something that future inReach devices could potentially use?

satelles.com/.../Satelles-STL-Data-Sheet.pdf

• Thanks Edvard for that link.  It was/has been frustrating trying to figure everything out on the mini 2, and when you google how to send messages on the mini 2 all you get is a bunch of old software instructions.  Example:  Here's a YouTube video that pops up when you type in sending messages with mini 2.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdbRzscDgpg.  Garmin should really try and take all the old stuff off.  Make it a lot less confusing, and prevent a lot less internet searching......  It was just by chance that I finally came across this forum and read up that preset messages was done away with.  

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 1 year ago in reply to 9485974
    when you google how to send messages on the mini 2 all you get is a bunch of old software instructions.

That search shows me the current inReach Mini 2 Owners Manual before anything else.