This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

New firmware versions beyond 3.33

I have updated to the new version indicated. I haven't tried it yet, but it looks interesting (messenger support, ...)

It would be even more interesting if someone from Garmin explained each of the improvements, thanks :)

• Messenger works, good, but it's a new mess to the Garmin ecosystem: there are new things that aren't in Garmin Explore and things that are in Garmin Explore that aren't in Messenger, but hey, despite the usual "mix," I guess it's a good notice to have to thank those new things.

Now, if Garmin let us know before the update about what's new and explain it, that would be great. For example: "Added BLE battery service" ... Is it something that the user can see as an improvement that they can try or is it something "internal"?

It is an example, sure more people would like to know about the other changes. Thanks, Garmin

• Hi Alberto, what phone are you using? I have an iPhone, but the messenger application (version 1.4) reports that inreach mini 2 is not supported. thank you

• I guess support for the Messenger app is nice if you like the app. As  points out, this adds yet another app to the existing Garmin mish-mash of partly compatible, only with some devices, only with some versions of the firmware, only for some functions, sometimes, maybe...

Group messaging is a feature from Messenger-land. It allows the equivalent of a group chat via SMS. It only applies to messages which have no recipients other than SMS. Every participant in the "group message" sees every message sent to the group, whether a new message or a reply. There is also a thing called a "post" which allows you to send to multiple SMS addresses without invoking the group message behavior. Clear as mud, I know. I have no idea how (or if) any of this is represented in the M2 UI - but it does show up in the Messenger app. Beware of using this feature direct from the M2, or from the app outside of cell or WiFi coverage. It generates a lot of messages. If they are delivered by satellite (as opposed to cell or WiFi), it generates a lot of charges, too.

Whether Check-ins are really an "upgrade" from Preset messages is highly debatable. The three check-ins replace the three presets. You could change the text on presets. Not on check-ins. You could have different recipient lists for each preset. As I understand it, all three check-ins have the same recipient list. Based on what I see on the forums, you should NOT convert from presets the check-ins if offered the choice. (It's a one-way conversion. No going back.) As I understand it, NEW accounts will be hard-wired to check-ins.

The rest of it looks to be obvious bug fixes, obscure things that probably don't matter to the end user, or terminology changes.

iOS and Android versions of the Messenger app are not necessarily in sync. Nor is it always the case the enhancements which require both app support and firmware support are properly synchronized with regard to release.

• A Xiaomi Redmi note 10, but that compatibility, as far as I know, depends on the firmware version of the M2 (only with 3.33 or futures)

• Many, many, thank you very much for that warning about check-ins. I've been about to accept it.

BTW: Garmin if this is so and it is not noticed: bad. For reasons that are not important, thanks to me there have been many acquisitions of inReach and their corresponding subscriptions. This, if so, do not like

• Hold on.

Is this really true? You can no longer customise the preset messages when they are migrated to Check In as part ofbthisbupgrade

That is crazy and a completely retrograde step. 

I upgraded without seeing ANY option to accept and I thought the Messenger functionality would bring wifi/mobile network usage benefits.

GARMIN- What is going on here.???

• Open a support ticket. I think you'll get "that's the way it is" in response. But the more people who complain, the more likely Garmin is to reverse course.

• Interesting.

I have a Messenger, not a Mini 2, but use an account previously used with a 66i. At no point was I asked to migrate to check-in. I didn't actually see that feature until I saw it mentioned on this thread.

The Messenger is not supported by the Explore app at all (so no changing presets there), but it is still supported by explore.garmin.com and I can set presets there.

The Messenger on-device UI doesn't support presets, just check-ins. I was wondering why and now I understand... The Messenger app does support presets (wit the Check-in nag though).

• At one time, I think that the onboarding process for the Messenger app asked about this. But maybe I'm hallucinating. Fact remains that Garmin appears committed to this change. And virtually ALL of the forum feedback I see is opposed.

• Can some unfortunate soul who's on Check-ins describe how it works? i.e. what the message(s) is/are and how the contacts are picked?