Battery

I’ve bought an Inreach Mini 2 for my daughter who is travelling with a friend, however the battery is barely lasting a day? Breadcrumbs are set for 30min intervals - any ideas what she can do to extend the battery life?

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 1 year ago

How is she "travelling". Is the device, while powered on, in continuous access and view to open skies?

• If you leave the device powered up without a reasonable sky view, it will suck battery. Even if you are not sending track points, the device will attempt an active message check once an hour. The device will (re)try very hard to complete this. If it's buried in your pack, or if you are in a metal can (airplane, bus, or whatever), it will never complete. The retries result in very heavy iR modem use - which drains the battery.

• Do not keep the map page open. Keep it on the home Glance when not actually looking at it for best battery performance

• This is a good point. Especially bad if heading up. CPU is used to repaint the screen. Anything that minimizes repainting is good.

The M2 does not support "expedition mode" per se. But individually disabling features you do not need may help.

If you don't need to use it with a phone, disable BT.

If you don't need to use a remote control wearable, disable ANT+

If you don't need real-time "sent" track points, disable tracking. I don't think you can disable activity logging. Set it to standard, not high detail (in order to use the GPS radio as little as possible).

If you are in daylight, set the backlight level to 0. Set the timeout to the smallest possible value. I don't think it matters with the level at 0, but...

I don't know if selecting GPS only (rather than multi-GNSS) helps.