P0 Bug: Preset messages not synching

I just got a Mini 2 2 days ago and already spent +4h trying to debug the issues

When I edit the Preset Messages on explore.garmin.com - Messages, the new preset message do not sync with my Mini 2, or at least they don't sync as they should.

I created 3 message on the Explore web page. 

Message 1:  "#1 I am Good"

Message 2:  "#2 returning home"

Message 3: "#3 Delayed but Ok"

My phones (I tried both Android and iPhone app), shows these 3 message (and messages are in the right slot)

BUT when I look on the Mini 2 this is what I see

Preset 1: "#2 returning home"

Preset 2: "#3 Delayed but ok"

Preset 3 "Preset Message Content 3"

So in my case:

Message 1 did not sync

Message 2 sync as Preset #1

Message 3 sync as Preset #2

And Preset #3 is the "Default non initialized message"

What is really bad here is that the App has NO IDEAS that the sync was not performed appropriately. The UI on the APP displays the message it believes was sent,  but the Mini 2 will sent the message that is configure on the unit

THis is potentially very dangerous as someone my have configure message 1 as "I need Help" and Message 2 as "I am Ok".

If they use their App on their phone and sent Message 1 ( I need help), they will see on their phone that "I need help" was sent, but in reality the Mini 2 will send "I am ok"

THis is really bad!

Top Replies

All Replies

• The fix does not address the issue!

Now the pre-fix messages are in the same order on the phone as on the website, but the messages that are received by the receipient are not the one that matches what I have on the website and phone. When I look at the messages that were sync on the InReach two it is still all messed up.

THe fix is is of the quality you expect to get from Garmin! (if the code compiles it must work)

I'm also a pilot and I can't beleive I rely on their *** to navigate the airplane...

• Did you re-sync your mini 2 as well?

• Of course!

1)I removed the Garmin Explorer app from my phone and reinstalled it from the store
    2)I upgraded the InReach 2 firmware to 3.3 (or 3.33... don't remember)
    3) I changed all my pre-set message
    4) I sync my phone with the InReach 2
    ->5) I notice that now the messages shown on the explorer web site match the messages seen on the phone. Same message content same order, same receipeint
    6) I sent the 3 preset messages from my phone, heade the InReach chip sound that the message was sent, waited enough time for the message to be receive 
    7)
    • Message 1:  was received as expected
    • Message 2: It is the content of message 1 that was received, NOT the content of Message 2
    • Message 3: was never received
    8) when I check on the In reach, the pre-set meneu is gone, it was replaced by "Check-In"
    9) when I check the messages available in "Check-In" I see
    • Check-In 1: I see the content of my Message 1
    • Check-In 2: I see the content of my Message 3
    • CHeck-In 3: I see "Check-in Content 3" with Recipient "Check-in 3"

I'm now being ask now to perform a factory rest on the device... I assume they need to reinitialize pointer to data structures and the easies way to do that is to start clean... 

• **Updated below after check**

Presets reside directly onboard the Mini2 so that you can send without typing. It sure sounds to me like your new Presets are not getting synced to the actual device.

Now, with that said, and with the change from Presets to Checkins, there might be some issue that you experienced that I have not. My account is several years old (this is my third InReach device), but I just recently updated my Mini2 to 3.3 and also installed the Messenger app(for the new functionality). So for me, Explorer calls Messenger for any message, SOS, weather related functions now (I guess when both installed, Explore is just mapping-only now).

I have not changed any of my Presets, so they look normal. But I’m going to play with this a bit later, change some things, and see what happens.

I’ll see if my results mimic yours or not  

So I went out and changed my #3 Preset. I had to force close my apps, and then I opened Explore, let it sync, and then forced a second sync 1 minute after the first finished. That change synced synced down, and I was able to verify it in both Messenger and on the Mini2.

BUT… there is one item I’m curious about. On My Messenger app, is shows my PRESETS, and above it there is a box to click to “Upgrade Presets to Checkins”. I did not do that. I’m pondering Thinking on if I should possibly break the mechanism, or leave it as is for the moment. Rofl 

Also, maybe the Mini2 with 3.33 REQUIRES Messenger on the device, in order to sync the Checkins properly… since my account is old, I could delete Messenger and just use Explore. But since your account is new, maybe those three items (new account, 3.33, and Messenger) are required. Worth looking into.

I attached my screen below.

• So I read on Garmin’s site that accounts created after Sep 27 2022 don’t support Presets. The more I think about this, the more I feel you need to install Messenger.

Old accounts support Preset, which Explore and Messenger supports. 

New accounts only support Checkins, which Messenger supports.(IDK about Explore)

Since there is an “upgrade” process in Messenger for “converting Presets to Checkins”, that makes me feel they are using different data fields in the different apps, that ultimately sync to the Mini2. On the web, if you have an old account you see Preset, until you upgrade to Checkins. But new accounts only see Checkins.

I would install Messenger and see if my data shows up correctly. It might fix your issue for the current timeframe.

• Once more: It makes no difference what you see on the device. For presets, the device sends 1, 2, or 3. The actual text is what is current on the server at the time you send.

It is NOT accurate to say that the preset message text "resides" on the M2 (or any other iR device). It IS true that life is very confusing if sync did not occur - because you cannot SEE the numbers on the device.

• It is possible that some people have gotten caught up in the whole "eliminate presets in favor of check-ins" mess. Garmin apparently has not thought this out thoroughly. It's the NORM for the Messenger device. For other devices and accounts, you theoretically have a choice. In practice (based on what I see on the forums), nothing works predictably on ALL combinations of devices/firmware versions/old-new accounts, etc.

IMO, you should just ignore the whole mess until the dust settles. Exception: If you are taking the device into the back country and you depend on presets (or check-ins) for safety, open a support ticket.

• Presets reside directly onboard the Mini2 so that you can send without typing.

this is not quite correct

what ever you see on the device itself has nothing to do with what is transmitted. There is nothing transmitted from the device on text or recipient list.

All is stored on the server of garmin and your device informs the server only to do preset or checkin 1, 2 or 3

The display on the device is just for info, if not synced corretly, it is only kind of visual issue, it has nothing to do with functionality

• there is one item I’m curious about. On My Messenger app, is shows my PRESETS, and above it there is a box to click to “Upgrade Presets to Checkins”.

how can they call it upgrade when this is really a disastrous downgrade of functionality

The whole process of change do not event the devs of it understand, as otherwise there would be not so much mess around it.

I had recently a 66i on a old professional account and there also presets got somehow out of step. After sync many times, I finaly made simply full reset, synced all again and now the prests look on the device also 'nice'

• it is a mess, but I can so far report, that a messenger device included in an older professional account does so far behave as all other devices in that account, preset messages can be configured as well as the recipients list individually edited and all works there as expected.