Activation doesn't go through - Waiting for Response forever

A brand new inReach Mini 2 device. We bought a subscription and have been trying to activate it. How long should it normally take? Display shows Waiting for Response for over an hour with no changes. 

• Nowhere near an hour. Usually takes just a few minutes. This is a two-step process. First, the unit must acquire GPS fix. For a brand new unit, especially Mini, this might take a few minutes. Once the unit acquires, it will send an activation request via the Iridium network. The Garmin servers will respond, at which point the unit is activated.

There have been problems with activation over the past few days. Supposedly, they are resolved. Try the outdoor portion of activation again now. If it still fails, open a support ticket.

Note: This assumes that you successfully completed the web portion of registration. And that all that remains is the actual activation of the device. If you have not registered the account on the web, you need to do that first.

• You will want to make sure the unit is active on your explore.garmin.com account first and that it actually shows a subscription. If it does show a subscription there then please sync your device and try to activate on the device again. Syncing the Garmin Explore App

• Hi leslie, I’m having issues with this as well. In my app, my new inreach mini is showing as unsupported which I imagine is simply because it shows as waiting for confirmation. 

• Probably not.

Open a support ticket. You might get a response here (from Leslie or somebody else). But the forums are not an official support channel. If you do open a ticket, use phone or chat if available. Based on forum comments, email is not effective.

• Hello Do you have an iinReach Mini or an inReach Mini 2?

• Hi, I have an in reach mini 2 and need to activate in next 24hrs.  Web activation states “pending activation”. And device is stuck at waiting for response (clear line of sight to sky). Deviced purchased in HK / billed in HK and activation in Australia. Can anyone assist?

• We have an older inReach explorer that worked perfectly in June 22.   We returned to the Bahamas in October and on testing the device, I received successfully two test messages on the Earthmate page.   The same site stated that I needed to update firmware which I attempted to do.  The device locked up and was non-responsive.    I contacted Garmin support and over the next 2 weeks, I tried numerous times to update firmware and sync.   the device would connect to the windows laptop, reach 100% then close down and remain unresponsive.

I cancelled my subscription and left the device at the back of my sock drawer!

Today, on charging the device on a whim, it has powered on and is responsive although it states that the configuration is invalid and the database is wiped.   

It wants me to register and activate.  Reading below, confidence is not high!

Update - after charging for a couple of hours and getting to 97%, the device has powered off and is non responsive, 

Back to the sock drawer!

• I have this same problem, just sits there waiting for confirmation, when I go to the garmin website it takes me back to the start of the activation process but when I enter my device info it says activation is pending.

• eventually it just says activation took too long and tells me to go to the website, so its just a loop, website says pending activation, device isnt getting confirmation, arghghghghghghghghg

• I can't tell for sure what you are doing. "Activation" is a two-step process.

1) Create an account at explore.garmin.com. This is where you enter the IMEI and verification code. Then select a service plan for the device. You should never have to repeat this part. In particular, you should never re-enter the same IMEI and verification code. Once done, that part is done.

2) Do the outdoor portion of activation. You must do the web portion first. Take the device outside, power up (if not already on). If prompted, say that you want to activate (as opposed to using the device without activation). The device will first acquire a GPS fix. Then it will send an activation request. Eventually (usually within a few minutes) the device will show activation success. You will also receive a test message. (Sometimes, the test message actually arrives before the activation success shows on the unit.)

There are occasional outages for activation. According to the status page, the most recent one was April 27.

https://status.inreach.garmin.com/

There are also occasional scheduled maintenance windows. I do not recall whether or not there was a recent maintenance windows for subscriptions.

In any case, try again. If you still cannot activate, open a support ticket. If you have choice, use chat or phone. Based on forum posts, email is not very effective.