AIS support

Does the inreach mini 2 support AIS updates either directly or with a satellite plan either on the machine itself or transmission to a watch with topo maps?

• yes, even fake MMSI can be created, people can not stop interfere with serious things

• Im not sure why youre talking about interfering, im just talking information, say youre a diver stranded after a dive or a boat with a failed engine/electrics, ais info could allow you to make a decision re triggering a plb for local/international pickup or contacting service through inreach depending on urgency and which would get a quicker/more appropriate response

• This is great first step, but i meant recieving ais data for local area, say 30 miles around your position for it around you and seeing that on mini or watch overlaid on maps

• Yeah, that would be great. I think this could only be done by Garmin, they would have to update the software on the inReach to interpret/display a message containing that info they would send to you.

Anyway, all that will change in a few years, your phone will get satellite data directly, then there is Starlink for boats...

• well that is what inreach is alltogether for. simply press the red button on your inreach device and all is done. This was always the idea behind inreach . The GEOS will take care of the rest

AIS is a maritime system set up and regulated by IMO and no need it to be used for other purposes.

And yes, he feed to all the data bases who collect the information can be done by email, this was allways so, the vhf operated satellites deliver their data also by email basically.

• but i meant recieving ais data for local area, say 30 miles around your position for it around you and seeing that on mini or watch overlaid on maps

how many AIS data you would like to receive via inreach?

Are you aware of the fact that this will megabytes within few ours in coastal area? Would you be willing to pay for this?

• I think this could only be done by Garmin, they would have to update the software on the inReach to interpret/display a message containing that info they would send to you.

AIS itself is a broadcast system initially. To get contents of AIS let say within 30miles or so, the full content of the database for that area would have to be transmitted over iridium. Every user will then be charged for every byte of information received this way. Or better say, company who will set up such system will be charged by iridium for the transport. In coastal waters, where lot of traffic goes on AIS, this data will have to be transported. Iridium Sats will do it, but they will charge for it. The messages will come in permanently without break as they come in over the actual AIS network via vhf or even via dedicated vhf satellites.

• The data cost is a separate issue, it would be a great additional service for areas out of mobile signal range, i get the vhf aspect especially for communication and i think thats a feature that should have been included maybe in a maritime version if it needs to be bigger, at least it would let others closer to you that have ais know youre there if youre in the dark, poor conditions etc esp diving or man overboard, nautilus lifeline can broadcast general alert to all and dsc to specific boats closer to you to help, battery aside its electronics are tiny, that would be v useful to have in addition to satlink for inreach

• you are mixing here two completely different things.

The costs are in the context of having AIS data ***delivered*** to you via iridium will be something estimated 10000 or much more for a day? depending on how many ships and how much traffic they produce. This is just estimate, I would need to calculate it more exactly, but I think it will be much more.

As you are in a boat, you have AIS transceiver with you, larger vessel has minimum 2 of them. So you can receive all completely free of charge. No mobile phone or what ever other device is needed. You receive all data from as far as vhf range, something like 30 or even 50 miles.

But: if you are talking just about ***sending*** your own data to a private database like those ships traffic websites, then you can send it by email to them, this was always so. The satellite operator collecting also the vhf transmitted data, does excatly the same, they deliver the data via special email to their customers. This is ***not*** AIS, they simply receive the data from simple vhf receivers or alternatively they do buy those data from the provider of the satellite network collecting those vhf transmitted broadcast from the ships.

Your mistake seems to be that you think, that when you send something to such AIS database, this will be also appearing on other ships somehow. This is however wrong, as this would need someone to transmit this on the vhf radio. AIS devices on board of vessels communicate on vhf and do not receive any satellite communication apart from receiving GPS.

Note:

AIS has nothing to do with marinetraffic.com or similar services and viceversa

I think you are confusing those two. Graphical display of ships around you is not AIS, while on larger ships this can be exported and displayed on navigation radar display for example. And this can be received via vhf only. Nobody does a broadcast via satellite as this is enormous traffic going on.

What you probably mean is the picture with map and ships symbols on it. This is just a viewer for a data base of a private companies who collect data via legal or half legal channels and display it on internet website.