New update: version 2.32 ? (the last one was not 3.17?)

It tells me that there is a new update today. It is version 2.32, but I see that I have 3.17 and in this forum it is also indicated that it is the latest.

What am I missing?

Garmin: Please don't confuse users. I am very-very happy with the product and it has actually exceeded my expectations, but there are things that are terribly confusing. I understand that life is complicated and that maintaining so many models and variants is not easy, but there are things that do not need to be artificially complicated.

I'm sure there's an explanation, but firmware updates are SCARY and we've seen a lot of devices go unusable. Surely this is not the case, but you have to be careful with these things and

not play with numbers versions or explain it more clearly. Thanks :)

• My best guess is that the actual inReach firmware is updated independently from the GNSS/GPS software, and both have their own version numbering. You can see this on the Settings -> System -> About page, where you'll see the two listed separately (the same applies to the emoji data, of all things, and possibly other components as well).

As to why this software isn't incorporated into one monolithic inReach firmware image, thus reducing confusion about installed versions... maybe someone at Garmin would know. Or not...

• BTW: 

Obvious that maybe we have to "love" Garmin as it is, thanks for the update :).  It says that increase the performance of the GNSS receiver, which already seems very very efficient to me.

I already commented one day that comparing it with the two GNSS receivers that I have, being in the same position the M2 is more sensitive and precise, even being hidden in the bottom of the backpack... in short, it shows the path more realistically in complicated coverage situations (of GNSS).

As a curiosity, the default option when I bought it (at least on my unit) was GPS only and not multi-GNSS. It is strange, since in my tests, the supposed higher consumption of multi-GNSS has not been noticed at all. 

In fact, the battery theme is wonderful. It lasts a long time and, if necessary, is easily charged with any small power bank. I use a powerbank with 1 18650 battery (2600 mAh) that is compatible with my flashlight. I can fully charge the M2 using only 60% of the charge of that battery (which weighs very little). Great

As a curiosity, the default option when I bought it (at least on my unit) was GPS only and not multi-GNSS. It is strange, since in my tests, the supposed higher consumption of multi-GNSS has not been noticed at all.

Keep in mind that many people are not technological lovers (like me) and leave the options as default. My suggestion is to default to multi-GNSS to make it easier for users. The GPS system works very well, but sometimes in narrow canyons there are not enough satellites to triangulate quickly or not enough at all or the HDOP is too high. Using the other networks, especially Galileo, works much faster and more reliably.

In fact, the battery theme is wonderful. It lasts a long time and, if necessary, is easily charged with any small power bank. I use a powerbank with 1 18650 battery (2600 mAh) that is compatible with my flashlight. I can fully charge the M2 using only 60% of the charge of that battery (which weighs very little). Great

• Indeed, I have verified that it is what you say. Solved the mystery, thanks!

Perhaps it would be interesting to clarify it and, when there is a new version of a component, remember the complete list of components and their versions, to know which component is the one that is updated and not confuse with numbers. Surely most people attribute a "general" version of firmware to a device. If Garmin manages it in another way, it would be good to clarify it so as not to generate doubts. It's a suggestion.

• This is correct. It's not a monolithic update because the GPS "firmware" is actually applied to the GPS chip itself. Whereas the device firmware (which runs the UI, the inReach features, and uses the GPS chip) is a different thing entirely. Think of it like a BIOS update for a PC as opposed to an update for the Windows O/S.

Some people will pass up a GPS firmware update. Just as some people will pass up a BIOS update.