Feature Request - Contacts

When sending a Quick Text, the first action item is to select a contact.

The default contact list starts with:

1. Type Contact
2. Facebook
3. Mapshare
4. Twitter
5. My mobile
6. My IR
7. My email

and FINALLY at #8 , the first "real" contact

I have not linked any social media accounts and I do not know why I would be sending a Quick Text to myself

So .... Provide the ability to include/exclude Facebook, Twitter and myself OR change the sort order of the contacts.  Imagine if you had 20 or 100 contacts, each with their mobile and email which means double the number. Your favorites are buried somewhere in the list.

• Use this page to request an enhancement:

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/forms/ideas/

Suggesting enhancements via the forums is unlikely to result in action.

• Thanks .. could not find a link and was hoping somebody would provide one:)

• On the contact selection screen, you can scroll up and it will loop to the bottom of the list. Unfortunately, if, as you say, you have many contacts defined thru Explore, you may still have to scroll a lot to find the one(s) you want.

Another option, if you can, is to use the Garmin Explore app on your phone to send inReach messages. There, in addition to using pre-defined contacts, you can use your phone-based contact list and find the one(s) you want more quickly.

• scrolling forward or backwards thru a list is probably what the SW developers thought was a good UI choice. Not sure if the Usability team for inReach (is there one?) has used the device with more then a couple contacts or used in a scenario replicating an adverse condition (inclement weather, injury to themselves (ex. bad fall), assisting somebody else who is injuried, etc.  These scenarios are very different from sitting in an office or hanging out with friends on a sunny day outdoors updating a social media account.  Stress, anxiety, panic, etc. are typical human responses and being able to interact with the inReach in an actual emergency should be very simple and very efficient.  Garmin should make this the priority with the UI rather then updating facebook, twitter, etc.

The inReach users I know (backpackers and hikers) have selected the inReach because it is NOT dependent on another device in order to send and receive messages.  Zoleo is much better then the inReach if you want to use a phone.

• Contacts are just the tip of the usability iceberg on the M1 and M2. Preset messages and quick text messages might do well enough for day to day use. But if you trigger SOS and need to communicate details to GEOS and/or SAR, you will have to compose custom messages on the device. Good luck with that. Scrolling through individual characters (plus shift states) on the "virtual keyboard" is painful in the extreme. At least they have word suggestions.

The virtual keyboards on full-sized, non-legacy iR devices (66i, Montana 7x0i) are better. Even so, it's painful to use the rocker and enter on the 66i. Montana touch screen is a big improvement. But the Montana is large and heavy for back country use...

Bottom line: We either use small devices and live with the limitations (and/or pair with a phone) OR we use bigger devices and live with their limitations Slight smile

• Good points

I have 3 preset messages and 15 quick messages. Presets are fast to access and send. Quick messages are hindered by the poor UI selecting a contact(s).

ever try using a touchscreen in the rain or with sweaty or bloody fingers ?!

My inReach is placed for maximum accessibility on my pack ( also optimize reception). Not so with my phone