Speed indicator missing?

I could be missing something very obvious here, but...

The inReach Mini 2 manual (p. 12) says:

Compass: Shows your heading and speed.

The actual device says:

I know the Mini 1 did show the current speed on the compass widget screen, but how to get this value to show up on the Mini 2?

Thanks!

• Fully agree! I’m using the inreach mini 2 for bike packing tours. Just can‘t understand what’s the problem adding an additional submenu with speed data. 
  • I can tell you that the less a device costs, the less development it gets after release. 

GPSMAP 67i and Montana 750i still seeing development and new features more than two years later. eTrex 10/20/30 series very little development. 

The inReach Mini is in the latter group.

• Exactly, I want to use mine on my tiny catamaran. It's a great form factor. Looking to replace my 67i with something smaller simpler as I sail lakes and don't need the on screen mapping

• Who made the rules? Is there an official answer from a Garmin or documented evidence? If you say something like that without any proof, it's a straw man.

The MINI 1 was announced in May 2018, and the last software feature update was April 8, 2022. That seems a lot longer than 2 years to me.

• Anyone can read the firmware update change logs for their desired devices and see for themselves that the more expensive models see far more updates and improvements in features and functionality than their less expense counterparts do. This is well documented.

Read the MINI change logs for each new firmware release. Over 90% are fixes to maintain functionality. The Original MINI still functions the same now as the day it was introduced, and has been maintained with updates that preserve that functionality.

• Here is the Inreach Mini 2 forum, and we've been talking about the Inreach Mini 2 all along. Why on earth should we bother with other, more expensive models? 

First of all, it doesn't matter that 90% of the changelog is fixes, nor does it prove that Garmin only adds new features for expensive devices - it's just a record of what's changed and what's been added, and it's not appropriate to use it as evidence that Garmin will be stingy with new features.
    And anyone can read the changelog, at least you don't seem to be reading it properly. As of today, the mini's changelog has a total of 37 fixes and 23 new features, which is about 62%, not 90%.

The April 2021 update, as well as the April 2022 version, have new features, not just fixes.
    They Added support for forwarding text messages, Added support for disabling the page timeout on the Location and Compass pages, and Added support for updating the address of a message received from an unknown address. The update to add speed display doesn't seem any more technically challenging than these new features.

• Mini2 is targeted at a specific niche in the market, it's capacity & size - including limited, relevant functionality & available screen real estate - reflect that design and it's intended price point, projected lifecycle warranty & support costs. Business as usual product plan stuff for any company.

Look more closely at the added support features in the updates you mention, they all reflect that target market functionality. A speed reading doesn't. Maybe it could have been shoehorned in if the market showed a majority need but that does not appear to be the case. There are numerous other devices that not only show speed but are even specifically designed and better suited for the majority of the people in those use cases.

By all means suggest it to Garmin in the link that was provided above and lobby all your friends to put their hand up as well.

But even if you did manage to drum up a quorum I wouldn't be jumping up and down demanding and holding your breath. Core functionality High Detail Activity Recording was reported broken over 18 months ago and even that still hasn't been fixed. 

• We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to reach out to us regarding speed not being an optional data field on the inReach Mini 2.

We've since reached out to our Engineering team who advised that speed was omitted intentionally before production to save on space within the compass given its new interface. Unfortunately the manual was created before this omission took place, so it just needs to be corrected to remove the mention of speed and reflect the right options. We're currently working on that.

However, you can view the speed on the Explore app - Viewing Speed With the inReach Mini 2

As for getting this field on the Mini 2, we're always looking to improve our products, apps and websites. To ensure this is submitted to the right team for consideration and possible implementation, please follow the link in: Submitting an Idea to Garmin. Please keep in mind that we receive many ideas and they're all reviewed, so we may not reach out to let you know if your idea has been received or used.

• This is not helpful!

It sounds like a joke, that you are telling us, to use another App and Device to get what we have payed for. A Mini2 WITH SPEED INDICATOR!

• And it's not just the price, it's the form factor. I chose the Mini2 for size, weight, and battery life, and still need speed displayed on the screen.

This is especially needed for sailors since there seems to be a long standing bug in Navionics causing it to show 0.0 kts periodically. This happens on all my android devices of different makes and models.