Speed indicator missing?

I could be missing something very obvious here, but...

The inReach Mini 2 manual (p. 12) says:

Compass: Shows your heading and speed.

The actual device says:

I know the Mini 1 did show the current speed on the compass widget screen, but how to get this value to show up on the Mini 2?

Thanks!

• Er... Because the manual says it should be there?

• OK, I'll request they correct the manual!

• I don't know what I've done to deserve this snarky response, but in case my original post wasn't clear I'll reiterate: the inReach Mini 1 is able to display the current speed in the Navigation widget (on the compass screen), so it'd seem only reasonable to expect the Mini 2 could to do the same. And as the Mini 2 manual explicitly states that it should, I'm wondering if there's some setting I've overlooked or some other reason that I can address, to make the speed indicator show up.

Thanks.

• You are not missing anything.  The speed was removed from the compass display due to popular request. 

That's why I asked you why you wanted it there,  most users find it not very useful. If you are moving slowly enough to actually squint your eyes at it, it's not very useful,  and if you are moving fast enough for it to be relevant, you can't safely squint to see it...

• Ah! That's interesting to know. It's not that common for users to ask for features to be removed, but I guess there's a first time for everything! Grinning

While I don't have a pressing need to have a speed dial available on the inReach device (my post was more intended to find out if there was some hidden setting I had overlooked), I do travel by train or public transport quite frequently. As such, there is in fact an opportunity for me to squint at the device without any danger of crashing into immovable, solid objects.

And I guess I also would like to have the option at least of knowing my present speed during a hike; it seems a bit silly to own a device that could in fact tell me that directly, but that actively hides the parameter without the possibility of enabling said readout. Just my $0.02.

• Maybe this was just a test to see if people actually read the manual Slight smile

You do have an interesting general point that the Mini 2 doesn't have the general data pages showing all sorts of metrics that most Garmin handhelds and watches have.  I pretty much would always have a GPS watch with me as well so I've never thought about that much.  TBH, I'd probably prefer to have Average speed or pace anyway.  Any actual outing where I'm using the Mini 2, my speed is going to be so variable due to terrain, instant pace would be fairly meaningless.

• For anyone reading this thread, I would also like to point out that the Compass page on the MINI 2 now offers more useful information related to navigation vs the original MINI, which displayed speed below your heading. The MINI 2 actually has a digital 3-axis compass (the original MINI did not - you had to be moving for it to calculate your heading) and now displays both heading and bearing in real time, similar to the CDI function of larger devices. This is far more useful navigation information when trying to keep 'on course' and remains relative to the Compass page. Speed was never 'relative' to the Compass function. 

• I have been using the Etrex 30 for many years and still love and use this archaic GPS (still have two spares of it). For safety reasons on my bike packing trips in remote areas I recently bought the Inreach Mini 2. Nice tool, nothing to complain about it  so far except the same issue than Mushy Tomato had. I fullly agree with his arguments, since four months later the manual still has not been updated and I faced exactly the same “problem”. Now I know the answer, thank you. However, since I plan to use the Inreach Mini 2 as a backup for the Etrex 30 on my bike trips I would highly have appreciated the option to visualize the speed (not average). Due to the enhanced navigation capabilities of the Mini 2 it’s really a pity not taking advantage of the full potential of this tool. What’s the point of just adding an additional sub-menu?

• I would also have liked a speedometer and I really can't understand how such a function can be removed.