iPhone Messaging

Hi all,

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on the latest announcement from apple, that iPhone models from 14 onwards will now have Satellite messaging functionality. 

I think I will keep the Messenger for now, mainly for battery life/ruggedness. But it will be interesting to see Apples pricing vs Garmin subscription/yearly activation costs. 

• Yes, battery life/ruggedness are important points for people who are really hiking etc. outdoors. For the Sunday afternoon walk around the house, an iPhone 14/15 will be strong enough. I am curious about upcoming comparisons between Apple satellite texting and a Garmin iR device satellite texting.  And I think it is easier for iR devices to catch satellites instead of doing the Apple satellite gymnastics. But we will see.

• I’ll still go with my 67i and mini 2, military grade case and my 67i is daylight readable in direct sunlight, not my phone. Anyway I’m not paying for a top model phone when mine works fine. Another thing too, I suspect the 67i will still have features the phone won’t have for navigation. But we will see. Oh but the best part about the phone, I can send emoji’s to my friends from the back country lol, like who gives a ****. My Garmin can send  a track log showing my position automatically. Probably full scale internet coverage is just around the corner, but will there be an additional cost? I would think so, too much money to be made for some company. For the cost of an iPhone 15, I can buy two 67i units and maybe a mini 2, we are talking almost $2000 for the iPhone 15 with tax and Apple care.

m.youtube.com/watch