Messenger is only a 1-way communicator

The Garmin Messenger does not receive messages through satellite when they are sent as replies to text messages/emails received when a message is sent out through the messenger or messenger app, and these replies are only received when the associated phone is connected to internet. Additionally the MapShare page just gives a generic "Fail" message when attempting to message the device.

Garmin support weren't able to find any issues, can other users verify if their devices receive messages through satellite messages or if the unit is send-only for satellite messages?

• Yes, the unit does receive messages through satellite. However, the rules for when this happens are (like everything else Messsenger) extremely confusing. You should be able to verify this by either being outside cell/WiFi coverage or by putting your phone in airplane  mode.

• Yes, mine the unit does receive messages through satellite. But only if you cell/WiFi connection: should be easy to rest: set your phone to airplane mode, disable WiFi/bt on your phone, as twolpert already had mentioned.

• I had this exact same issue. Activated my device late July and could send out messages, tracking points, etc. perfectly but could not receive anything back. Tried SMS, email, MapShare page (had the same generic error message as you). I opened a ticket with Garmin support and they were able to resolve it and it works fine now. It was something on the back end. I asked for more specifics but the help person didn't know other than it was something on Garmin's end.

• This kind of thing - a backend issue affecting just a few accounts - crops up periodically. Garmin does magic on the back end and the problem disappears (at least for that account). This is why opening a support ticket is a good idea.