My new Inreach Messenger added some random people from my contacts. I want to delete them but they appear with a 'locked' icon in the iOS app. How do I edit the contacts?

Can't delete Contacts in the InReach Messenger iOS app.

• You should know who your emergency contacts are. Yes, the clutter of other contacts is annoying. But it will not prevent you from sending a message to your intended target.. Unless, of course, the unit is actually using the "contact number" when sending the message. In that case, the contact numbers on the device MUST match the ones on the Garmin servers. If they do not, the message may be misdelivered or not delivered at all. (This is why end to end sync is important.)

It's insanely annoying to enter the full recipient address instead of using the contact. But AFAIK, that's the ONLY way to avoid all possible problems with contact number mismatches.

I don't know that this is an issue here. But, in an emergency, you want to know that your messages are going to the right place.

The standing joke, of course, is that people who want to use the device for emergency messaging are not the "target audience" for the Messenger. Certainly, the features of the device and the app are slanted towards chit-chat, not emergency use.

• I too had these "random old contacts" show up on my inReach Mini 2.  After trying the tips in this thread to no avail, I noticed that when Garmin Messenger originally synced with my phone contacts, it sent a message letting me know "<contact name> is also on Messenger".  So long as this message was in my inbox, I could not delete the contact.  Once I deleted the message for each contact, the contact became "editable" and I could readily delete it.  Not intuitive, but does make sense.

• I deleted Messenger and strictly use Explore for messaging. I can't even figure out why Messenger even exists other than trying to reduce using satellites. There isn't even a function there that allows you to access contacts in your phone! How stupid is that?? Here is another stupid thing, you'll be messaging back and forth in Messenger, and it will duplicate only the messages sent to you in the Explore app, not the messeges you were sending. So all you see is their responses if you look there. Come on Garmin. 

I felt Messenger was horribly useless in terms of functionality and the fact that Garmin, without my permission dragged a bunch of contacts that I DO NOT want into my inReach mini 2, forcing me to hard reset to get rid of them really tweaked me. It seems Garmin can't make an app, a piece of software or a device that doesn't royally piss you off at some point. Probably 10% of what Garmin promises will work, actually works. Don't even get me started about my professional Garmin Explore account. NOTHING syncs properly. NOTHING does what it is supposed to do and I have wasted countless hours trying to make any sense of it. They keep charging me though! 

• Hello The messenger app is meant for mainly messaging allowing either satellite, wifi, or cellular data messaging, as well as satellite live tracking. It also is beneficial for being able to activate and manage your subscription directly from the app. Comparing the Garmin Messenger and Garmin Explore Apps. As far as the contacts the messenger app does have an option to allow you to access your system contacts (which would be your phone contacts) or your inReach contacts which would be contacts on your account on the contacts tab. Contacts and Sending Messages With the Garmin Messenger App

As for when you say it is duplicating messages I am not sure exactly what you mean here? Can you possibly provide an example and a bit more detail on this? 

• After a few hours on the phone with a tech that was great I was finally able to get the devices synced properly, which was also messing up the usefulness of Messenger. Turns out that with a PRO account you need to log into the apps that update and control each unit with the specific user login assigned to each device. This is apparently the largest issue with customers as it is not exactly made very clear that's what you need to do. I was signed in as the admin and none of them would update. Hopefully Garmin will figure out in the future how to recognize devices that belong to an admin account and allow them to be updated logged into that account, but for now I need to log in and out of the EXOPLORE app to update each device I own. Not convenient, but at least after a year of frustration I got that worked out with a tech. Thank you for that Jesse. 

Now, apparently I'm one of 5 people who's Tread Overland just won't sync at all. Pending case. 

• I was able to see that you are in contact with the professional support team already regarding these issues. This will be the best route for this case due to the nature of how professional accounts work in comparison to personal accounts.  

• mine too. So annoying. Now showing 3 locked contacts. What’s up Garmin? Why do u lock the contacts?

• Here is what I have found about Garmin. They tend to be very cryptic with their instructions and leave you hanging and confused quite often. A good example is the locked symbols. I'm sure there is some explanation somewhere, but until you dig it up you are left wondering what they *** they mean, and why they are locked which really seems to tweak people. Why would I want a locked contact I never wanted in there in the first place Garmin? Then, when you find the reason it's perfectly understandable most of the time. Kind of an 'ahhhhhhh, okay that makes sense now', but it's a *** of a journey to find out.

My favorite one with a PRO account is trying to assign a device to the administrator. It says 'Garmin suggests the administrator should not have devices assigned to them. Create another user with a unique email address.', and then leaves you hanging right there without any explanation as to why. They allow you to do it, and there are some reasons for wanting to do that, but they don't tell you.

One of the main reasons I am finding is that they bought Delorme and tried to make it a Garmin product over the Delorme platform that was already built, and have been putting in patches ever since. This seems to be why things have oddities and Band-Aids over the procedures that are surprising for a large company to ask you to do. They can't even figure out how to have multiple devices assigned to one account. In order to update and sync any one of them, you have to remember whatever fake email address you were instructed to make for each individual account, log in, update the device, and rinse and repeat. Terrible. Especially when you have 12 inReach devices. 

They mean well, but the execution is very messy for a company that's probably valued in the billions of dollars. 

• Hey Garmin, 

After following these steps:

1. I reopen Messenger app after step 8

2. Delete the contact that was locked with "edit" button 

3. Contact is deleted however immediately reappears with a lock again.  This process loops.

I have also tried:

1. Step 1-8

2. Swipe left to delete contact.

3. Force close Messenger app

4. Open Explorer app and sync

5. Contact is now also deleted on inreach Mini 2

6. Relaunch Messenger app and contact reappears in app and inreach Mini 2 again.

I would like to delete this contact permanently.  Can you please advise?  Thank you.

• Is this a contact you have on your explore account or just a contact from your phone?