Messenger Plus question

Since the Messenger Plus is able to send pictures and voice clips, what are the details for this? What resolution, data limits, etc?  How long will it take to send photos?  I am guessing it will take a while unless the speed has been increased?

• Confusing/mixed up, as usual...

• The FAQ on the new plans states in footnotes that the Messenger Plus is currently the only device that supports the picture and voice messaging feature.

Do you have a link please? I couldn't find it. But they buried it properly...

• Yeah it is quite buried indeed. See https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=nVmBNWZg1v3zNcPXlBnlI8, and then the tables detailing the different plans:

• If someone tries to swap from a non Messenger+ iR device with an old plan to a new plan, there should pop up a big hint, that non Messenger+ iR device could not use the pic and vm functionality via satellite and the M+ is (so far) the only iR device which can use this functionality. But perhaps they have already  added something like that there?

• And since Iridium Certus is relatively new

I have tested this some 15 years ago (the land mobile version)

• it appears that it is about 88kbs fast.  That's pretty slow -

I was sending data over Iridium network with its simple 9.6k channel 20 years ago. Mostly email, but also some small xls. Started with some serial cable and complicated command line operations and that time av iridium phone.

Later there were some windows SW for that.

On my desk, there is still one of the IridiumGO devices. This was used for messaging, but in form of email, even sending compressed  picts and other data. There was even a special browser available with which it was possible (theoretically) to visit some static website.

And sure, I did use it as a tracking device, not within InReach, but with other platform.

So what I mean: there is nothing new here, all thsi is av for over 20 years

• As far as I have understood, photos sent via satellite are delivered compressed to the recipient, but the recipient is able to download them with a higher resolution. How long will it take? I think depending on sat connection, but fast, but we have to wait for first experiences from users. 

Appart from the purchase price (Messenger Plus $499:Messenger $249 now) there’s only a little price upgrade for essential($14,99): safety plan ($11,95 or $14,95) : the user has more messages (50:10) and a message can have more characters (1,600*:160) and of course you can send pics (10*:0).

* = only available for Messenger Plus. So if you buy a new plan for an old device (Mini/2, GpsMap 66i/67i etc), you only have the advantage of more messages/month, but don´t get 1,600 characters and pics via satellite.

For some constellations of use (not the whole year…), it may look different with the new plans. But apart from the increase in hardware prices: I like the new concept. But some users won't like it: the new plans no longer have the option to suspend service. And yes, the biggest advantage for Messenger Plus: 1,600 characters for text messages and pics. I hope there will be following other new iR devices with that features! First I wanted to write: as usual: the custmer has to decide, what one takes. But as far as I have understood: at some point of time there will be a forced conversion of the old devices with old plans to the new plans (and the customer has no choice anymore) But: see below:

And yes, I think the price jump from Messenger (originally $299 (now $249)) to Messenger Plus ($499) is a bit steep. You can imagine what this would mean for possible new devices in the other series (Mini/GPSmap). I think at some point of time, we will see new devices of this (or new series) with the new features/plans.