Course navigation issues

I'm having a couple of issues with navigation of Courses on my GPSMAP 67i (device software version 7.60). Maybe I'm not fully understanding how this functionality should work, so looking on some input on what I'm seeing.

In Garmin Explore app I created a simple Course as a loop around my block, consisting of 7 points. The start and end location are the same, so it is a round trip. Also in Explore I modified the icon of the points. This ensures they are shown as pins on the GPSMAP and are seen as Course Points.

Now when I navigate this course using Direct Path routing, the Distance to Next and Distance to Dest. data fields show the same value and this seems to be the distance to the first/last point of the course. This does not happen when I navigate the course using Roads & Trails routing. This also does not happen when using a Course that is not a loop (ie start and end points are not at the same location).

The active route page shows the same distance for each point (looks to be from my current location to the start / end of the Course), except for two points that show a very large value and time (looks like some kind data type overflow issue).

When I navigate the Course using Roads & Trail routing, a different course is actually loaded when I load the course from the device itself. When I start the navigation from the Garmin Explore app, the correct course is loaded.

Anyone else experiencing these issues?

• Hello, I would recommend seeing the following link Distance to Next Data Field Appearing Inaccurate When Starting a Route. This explains the start of the course. As for some of the other things mentioned here I am needing more information to understand what is going on better. 

Please provide the following information: 

What maps do you have enabled on the device? Menu > Map Manager > What is listed here and in TopoActive? 

What routing settings do you have set? Menu > Setup > Routing. 

Can you provide pictures with examples of what you are seeing? 

• Hi Garmin-Leslie, thanks for the link to the support article.

As for the information requested, here are some screen captures of what the device is showing me.

Note that Update Available is displayed even though this is the latest version of TopoActive Europe, 2023.10. This seems to be an issue when the map is installed by Garmin Express instead of via the MapManager on the GPSMAP. I also have a couple of third party maps and City Navigator EU on an SD card but these are all disabled in Map Manager.

Routing settings set to Hiking activity and Prompted Course Navigation.

This is a simple Course I created in Explore app. For all Course Points except first and last I modified the symbol to a green pin to have them show up on the GPSMAP. The Course is not a complete loop, but start and end are close together.

I start navigating the Course via Main Menu > Course Planner > select Course > select Go with selection of Direct Path (because Course Navigation is set to Prompted). I then proceed to walk so that I am past the starting point of the Course but before the second Course Point. The GPSMAP shows an On Course message.

When I go to Main Menu > Active Route, this is what is shown. The values for Punt 2, 3 and 4 do not make any sense at all. The trip computer has both Distance to Next and Distance to Dest data fields showing the same value.

And for a bonus issue, I can have the Menu on the Map Page show both Resume Navigation and Stop Navigation at the same time. This can be achieved by first starting a Course with Path & Trails navigation, stopping that navigation (via Menu on Map screen) and then starting a Course with Direct Path navigation and pressing Menu on the Map page.

For the issue with the GPSMAP loading a different course I did not include screenshots because that's a bit hard to show with screenshots only.

• Thank you for the information. We already have your email address and are going to create a case regarding the issue. If we have further questions we will reach out to you through our official support channel to gather the information. 

• Ok thanks, hopefully this can be investigated and fixed quickly.