This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Basecamp doesn't recognize GPSMAP 67

I'm on macOS 13.0.1 and Garmin Express sees my new GPSMAP 67 and updates it just fine but Basecamp says no device connected. I've tried two different USB cables and made sure Express is closed.

Unlike my GPSMAP 66st, the OS doesn't see the 67 as a USB drive but yet Express still works.

Any suggestions?

• It could be down to Apple will not support MTP connection (media transfer protocol), it would be worth going into your Setup - system and change the USB mode from MTP to Garmin and give that a try, I do not have a Mac at the moment to test on but hopefully will help, I know this is the same issue why newer garmin Fenix watches cannot be detected by a mac as the watches also use MTP.

• This link may also help with Basecamp issues on a Mac

support.garmin.com/.../

• This is yet another MAC issue. Nothing anyone here can do about it other than switch to PC.

• I have tried the usb setting as Garmin and does not work , I would email Garmin support , what is missing from the usb settings is Garmin serial which should work fine with a Mac as we see on older devices 

• I don't have this device. I don't know what "Garmin" means as a USB setting. If "Garmin Spanner" or "Spanner" is available, try that. You may be prompted on the device when you connect it. 

If "Garmin" is "spanner", I don't have any other suggestions.

You can try opening a support ticket. If you do so, do not suggest a solution (don't ask "why is Garmin serial missing"). See if they have a solution.

• Thank you, it was not for me but the user who originally posted.

I use windows ,but tested a gpsmap67i on a Mac today and Basecamp does not see it,  finder also does not see the device on the Mac, the only usb connection options in the new unit are MTP  or one simply named  Garmin, ,MTP is not supported by Mac and the one named garmin simply allows the device to be charged and used it whilst connected to the Mac or PC.

They have missed of the new unit Garmin serial required by Mac users to use Basecamp softwares.

• Yeah, MTP is an issue. Most newer Garmin devices mount as MTP (rather than the equivalent of "removable USB drive") by default. Not supported on Mac AFAIK. 

The reason I suggested spanner is that connecting that way (IIRC) results in a prompt (on the device) for "mass storage mode or GPS mode"). Was hoping that the mass storage mode would result in removable USB (probably an irrational hope). The mode which is usable as an external GPS is not going to help with BaseCamp.

I think Express does removable USB or MTP, whichever the device supports. At least on Windows, I'm not sure Express even knows (or needs to know) which way the device mounted itself.

Edited to add: It appears that there are free third-party drivers to enable MTP on MacOS. Not a Mac person. No idea how/if they work, if they would work for 67 or 67i (most of the marketing smoke relates to Android phones), and no idea if they are safe. Google "macos MTP" to see some options.

• So for anyone interested I found a solution. If you open Basecamp THEN plug the GPSMAP 67 in it works.

•  Please see Garmin BaseCamp Not Detecting Devices on Mac Catalina 10.15 or Big Sur 11.0 and Newer or Outdoor Device Not Detected by Garmin BaseCamp on a Mac.

I will be closing this thread as we do not have a category for non-inReach outdoor handhelds. Please contact Product Support directly for assistance with your device or visit our Support Center. Support will be able to assist in troubleshooting the issue or escalating it for a possible fix.