Expedition mode starts recording an activity, also re-enters expedition mode if accidentally woken up

Think I accidentally found two "features" of expedition mode.

I was using it in "prompted" mode, basically as a way to sleep the device while experimenting with various things throughout the day - ie. a half-way house between constantly powering it down and then rebooting 15 minutes later to try something else, and just leaving it on all day (and yes I could've also used the Battery Saver mode to just turn off the screen, but didn't).

Firstly I realised that upon holding the power button to bring up the prompt, then selecting Expedition Mode, as well as sleeping this actually initiated an activity recording. I sort of get this - normally one would only put the device in expedition mode if they wanted it to be recording in the background, but even so it surprised me - I would have expected to have to either start an activity recording as normal before entering Expedition Mode or perhaps for a prompt to come up ("Start recording?").

Secondly I discovered if the device is resumed from Expedition Mode as usual with the power button, but then no other button is pressed, the same prompt to re-enter Expedition Mode as per the Auto-mode appears and then, assuming no user action taken, it automatically re-enters Expedition Mode. I presume this is a feature to counter the power button being accidentally pressed while the device is stowed, but I hadn't seen this documented anywhere.

• I don't know about the first item. I have never seen this behavior and I would not expect that resuming from expedition mode (which is where is SUSPECT the function actually began) would initiate activity recording or tracking. OTOH, expedition mode is notoriously unstable. I would not be surprised if it behaved in odd ways when used outside of the "expected" scenarios.

It's also possible that this is interacting with some other setting, such as the one which initiates recording at power up.

The second item is the expected behavior. It's not really so much a matter of responding to a potentially accidental power button press. It's a way of simplifying life for somebody who wakes the unit just to take a look at the map. This way, no other action is required to put the unit back to sleep.

• Looking at the recording timings, it the activity recording seems to start on entering expedition mode.

I also double-checked the auto-inited recording on power-on was off.

Strange.

• Sorry being a little bit late on this, but I have the same kind of issue - namely the recording of an "activity" starts recording  when the GPSMAP 66i enter into "expedition mode" even if I have stopped the recording manually.. .Regardless if prompled or automatically into expedition mode..

You mention there is a possibility this might be  interacting with e.g "initiates recording at power up", where can  I find this setting please?

• Interesting. Does it also start tracking if tracking is linked to recording? Does it start tracking if tracking is not linked to recording?

• Nobody knows. The linking of tracking (sent points) and activity recording (logged points) is a huge source of confusion. Supposedly the setting which links the two will at least make sure that they both start/stop at the same time, no matter where you initiate the change. Even if that works, expedition mode throws in a new factor which might or might not have been anticipated.

Personally, I ALWAYS check "the other side" after making a manual change. It's the only way I can satisfy myself that it "did what I meant". This would be impossible to do when entering/resuming expedition mode. 

• Main menu > Setup > Tracking > Auto Track