Fenix topo from 66i

Hello All

I hope everyone is well and staying safe. We are mostly in pretty good shape here in New Zealand.

i am just starting my Garmin journey and want to buy the Fenix 6. I have the 66i and want to know, as the watch I am looking at does not come with maps of NZ, can I “share” maps from 66i?

Hoping that I can have a shave and master relationship. Or does each device have to be stand alone capable and have the maps on it?

Cheers

Craig

• You should probably check with tech support. Typically, pre-installed maps are locked to the unit on which they were purchased.

Almost all Garmin mapping products are tied to a single device, one way or another. Maps that are pre-installed are locked to that unit. Maps purchased on optical media or downloaded are locked to the unit on which they were first installed. Maps purchased on SD card can be used multiple units, one at a time (the one in which the card is installed at the time). The cards cannot be successfully copied.

Worth checking with tech support, but I suspect that the answer is no.

• Thanks for the speedy response. What about a third party topo map? Will this work on the Fenix? Topo4GPS.co.nz

Cheers

• twolpert is correct. The Garmin Topo maps you have for the 66i will be locked to the 66i.

3rd party maps though, typically work fine on the Fenix yes....I use 3rd party Topo maps of the UK from TalkyToaster very successfully. 

• Thanks, again, I appreciate the quick response. These guys seem good and lots of user reviews so I will give them a go.

• I realise this a late response but I have moved from 66i to a Fenix 5 and YES you can 'drop' customised maps onto the /garmin folder if you have enough space. I have backup the existing TOPO maps etc on a harddrive just in case.

One tip , set priority of your map to at least 27

I replace my own img almost daily mainly to tweak my  color and width of highways in my TYP file.

There are also youtube videos you can check

Nick

• Thanks for getting back to me. Any info is good. I got the Fenix5x Sapphire and loaded it with the Topo4u hunting mapping, NZ topo, works well. It great came with the NZ/AU Topo but wanted to try hunting maps. 1/3 the price of the 6 polar i was looking at. It has all I need and battery life seems pretty good. Just need to get out hunting and test it in the back country!

Cheers