Frequent shutdowns on start after update to 5.80 :/

After updating to 5.80 my gpsmap 66i shuts down during start (at the "loading maps" screen). The device starts in 1 out of 3 starts. This is quite bad, this device crashes more than it works. Garmin this wasn't a cheap device, and its also not a leisure device, this is supposed to be reliable in the most adverse conditions when your life may depend on it. These crashes are unacceptable. I am not even mentioning the almost unusable search function, or very slow map rendering. Gpsmap 64 is quite solid compared to the 66...

Please fix these issues soon, 

Thanks!
C

Top Replies

All Replies

• This is mostly a peer to peer forum. Garmin employees do read it and will occasionally respond. However, to get direct assistance with a problem or to report a bug, you must contact product support directly.

With regard to this specific problem, you say that it crashes loading maps. If you have an SD card in the device, remove it. Boot the device. Reinstall it carefully. Boot the device. In some cases, this addresses indexing issues which can cause crashes. But I'm just speculating.

If that does not help, you might consider temporarily removing any third-party maps you might have installed - just to see if that helps.

• Hi , if you require more rapid assistance, the best thing to do is contact Product Support directly. However, I have sent you a PM to get some more specific information about the issues you're experiencing with your device and I'm happy to help out.

In the meantime, you can use steps in the following article from our Support Center to troubleshoot the issue: Garmin GPSMAP 66 Series Freezes, Reboots or Won't Power On

• Hi twolpert thanks a lot for the reply! I tried your suggestion and sadly it did not change anything. Once the SD card is back in the device resumes it's intermittent crashing. I am using OSM topo maps which I've used for years on my GPSMAP 64 with no issues. I would indeed suspect that the issue is connected to loading these maps.   

• Usually OSM maps work without problems. I use them on my own 66i, although likely not for the same areas. It could also be the SD card. If you have another card that's compatible with the 66i with regard to size and format, I'd try that before giving up.

You can also call tech support. But since removing the card makes the problem go away, they are likely to just tell you the same thing - get another card.