Integration with Fenix 6 Series

Can anyone share insight on how the integration between the 66i and the Fenix works? I love my 66i, but I don't love having to pick it up all the time to do simple things, especially when I'm paddling. Would be way easier to look at my wrist quickly to:

- Have a look at my trip computer

- Start/stop tracks and livetracks

- See my topo map, bearing, and how I'm tracking against my route

- Initiate weather requests

- View messages and send quick responses

I'm generally out of cell service so need my 66i for the inreach features. Does pairing the two devices make the 66i the 'master' device and the fenix just relay commands or are they both operating independently?

Can't find any intel about how this actually works. Thanks!

• Great questions. With the 66i paired to a Fenix 6-series watch with the inReach Remote widget, you can view and send Messages, Preset Messages, start and stop Tracking, and initiate an SOS. 

Regarding navigation features like viewing the topo map, bearing, and how you're tracking against your route, you can do this with the Fenix 6-series but the track recording would be done on the watch itself, separate from the 66i. You would essentially start a GPS-enabled Activity on the watch (like Hiking, Cycling, etc.) to record your track on the watch. You would not be able to see the track the 66i is recording on the watch itself.

There's no way to initiate a weather request from the Fenix 6 -- you'd also have to do that on the 66i.

• Very helpful thanks. So conceivably I could initiate the Live Track on the watch, and then sync it into the 66i at the end of the day through the Explore app? That way I'm not burning battery on both devices through the day.

(I've heard the Fenix tracks less accurately than the 66i, but will test that out).

• If you initiate the Live Track on the watch, the 66i is doing the recording/sending of tracking points via Iridium, so there would be no need to sync to the 66i as that's the device doing the recording. The watch is simply used as a remote control.