GPSMAP 66i with BaseCamp and Express syncing

Hi,

I have a GPSMAP 66i and a 66st. I am a long time user of the Oregon line and still use BaseCamp to manage and upload my points.

I see that Basecamp works with the new GPSMAP just fine, but the points and tracks uploaded into the device with BaseCamp are not visible in Garmin Explore website, even after succesful syncing. 

Is this by design?

If so, what happens if I also upload the same points to Garmin Explore website and then I sync, will I get duplicates into the device?

I know the standard answer is to forget BaseCamp and use Explore, but the latter is still miles behind the capabilities of BaseCamp, sorry.

• Although I don't know for sure, I would expect you to get duplicate items on the device. You need to pick one channel and stick to it.

The issue with points stored directly on the device not making it to the Explore site is probably due to issues with the active collection. Things which are placed in the active collection on the device should sync to the web site. This is intended to handle waypoints that are marked on the device and tracks (activities) recorded on the device. However, in my limited experience, items placed directly on the device (for example, tracks or waypoints placed in .gpx files in the \garmin\gpx folder do appear in the active collection and are transferred with the next sync. Note that I use other third-party software, not BaseCamp.

Check to be sure that you have an active collection set up for the device. The explore.garmin.com web site has been redesigned again. Right this minute, this functionality is south of the Plans & Devices "tab" (which no longer looks like a tab). On Plans & Devices, under your 66i, you will see a Sync category on the right side. Click the link Sync & Update Collections. (Misleadingly, you cannot sync from here since the 66i does not support wired sync. Go figure.) In the resulting pop-up, on the right side, choose the active collection.

If you don't have any collections set up yet, you will have to go to the Map "tab". Look for the Collections heading in the left sidebar. Click the plus icon on the Collections heading. You will be able to name the collection, optionally choose what existing items to add to it. On the next screen, you can choose to make the collection visible in MapShare and whether of not to sync it TO the device. You cannot designate it as the active collection here. Back to Plans & Devices for that.

Edited to add: Just noticed that the thread title mentions Express, but the body does not. Express is used to associate the device with a Garmin Connect account, to deliver firmware and map updates to the 66i, and to fully set up WiFi. I do not know if the Express "sync" moves things to the Connect universe. it definitely does not sync with the Explore universe.

• Thank you for your detailed post! 

Garmin Express has a Synch button and appears to synch, so that does not synch waypoints and logs?

If not, is Garmin Connect mobile app the only way to synch Garmin\GPX content with Explore website? or the manual Import form the website, also?

• I know that Connect does not sync data from the Explore universe (except that it DOES sync "activities" - the detail track). I should probably check on Express. I don't actually know for sure that it does not sync Explore data. Thinking about it, Express would be the ONLY wired approach for the 66i (since it's not supported by the old desktop sync app). I really ought to test that.

Syncing with the Explore universe is something of a mess because of the various generations of device that are out there. Without getting into the gory details for older devices, Garmin is moving towards over-the-air sync (via mobile app) for all devices. The 66i is the first one that fully supports that using the Explore app. 

Direct operations (via BaseCamp, direct access to the file system on the device, other third-party desktop applications) do work. You can export from the web site to your PC, then drop the files directly onto the device from the PC. I assume that's what you mean by "manual import from the web site". But these are not sync operations - you're only going to impact the Explore universe by importing/exporting to/from the web site. And that's not going to get you contacts, preset messages, quick text changes, and so forth.

• Ok I have been playing a lot with these devices lately.

I understood that Garmin Express does not sync tracks or waypoints (it's not clear at all it does not!). It only check and updates firmware and maps.

The only way to sync waypoints and tracks with the Explore website is the mobile app Explore, which also sync contacts and messages.

GPX uploaded with basecamp to Garmin\GPX get synced very inconsistently: of my sample of 16 waypoints and 4 tracks, all waypoints got synced, but no tracks on the 66i and one track only in the 66st (each GPS has its own active collection).

Worse and potentially dangerous, some of the tracks that I copied in the GPS were DELETED. Imagine I go to my climbing trip next week and my tracks are not there!

If in both GPS in mobile app I set to sync both collections 66i and 66st, and infinite loop happens with crazy results, things appear and disappear from both GPS, mobile app tries syncing and it never ends!. So at the very least, you need one active collection and only one for each GPS.

Now you may say, say goodbye to Basecamp and only use the Explore website. And here there are MAJJOR limitations:

- uploaded tracks and routes have strict points limitations. This could be a problem for long trails (multi day trips) that I need to preload and then follow in the field.

- uploaded tracks cannot have a color: they are all the same color! Very annoying as sometimes I use a color for say, car to basecamp, and another for alternate paths, etc.

- BIGGEST limitation: when imporintg GPX tracks into Explore, ELEVATION DATA IS DROPPED. Yep, the GPX as exported from Basecamp have elevation (I opened the file with a text editor), but once imported into Explore elevation is dropped, and so goes to the device! This is very, very bad!!!

I intend to absolutely stay away miles from Explore, but with the 66i I still need it to sync my contacts. 

QUESTION: is there a way to sync contacts, but ubsolutely do not touch the manually uploaded GPX under Garmin\GPX ? If so, I would just upload a simple track of my itinerary to Explore so that my friends can see where I am in respect to that, but keeping safe in the devices the tracks with colors and elevation data.

I am so disappointed in Garmin for having such a messed up software ecosystem! In the past year Explore was not updated at all, it's identical to the way they got it from InReach, they are too busy churning our 12425231M smart watche updates and the gizmos with them. Pardon the rant!

• AFAIK, there is no way to selectively sync contacts and nothing else. By Garmin's reasoning, the point of sync is to keep everything in sync everywhere.

Unfortunately, that sometimes includes removing things. It has never been clear to me how sync decides when to delete things. Or whether or not it gets it right. 

If you upload to the Explore site AS A TRACK, you won't bump into the 200 point (or whatever) limitation that it applies to uploading as a route. I don't know if there is a corresponding limit to tracks - or what it is if so. But it's much higher than 200.

I believe that the problem with lost elevation data is a known bug. Would not hurt to report it to support again. The more people who report it as a problem, the more likely it is to be fixed sooner rather than later.

In theory, any .gpx dropped directly onto the device should be sync'd into the active collection. This works for me with files dropped directly onto the device (without the benefit of BaseCamp, which is not my data management program of choice).

I think you might be confusing the legacy Earthmate app (which was inherited from DeLorme when Garmin bought them) with the newer Explore app - which is completely new. The Earthmate app is still used with legacy inReach devices. The 66i works only with the Explore app. Offhand,don't remember about the Mini.

As much as I hate to suggest this, you might consider the following. In my experience, and based heavily on what I see in the forums, once sync gets screwed up, it stays screwed up forever. The best chance for sorting it out is to delete everything from the device and everything from the Explore web site (independently). Then sync the Explore app with the web site with the device off. This should result in "nothing" in the Explore app. Now turn the device on and sync with the app. This should result in nothing on the device - so that everybody in the chain agrees. If not, wash, rinse, repeat until everything is in sync. Then start adding data back by placing things directly on the device and syncing with the app.

If you can't get things into sync with nothing anywhere using the procedure above, you could try a full reset on the device. That's a big hammer, but it might be the only way to clear out the dregs of the sync information. 

You should probably also try tech support. But by now, there is a lot of water over the dam. I'm not sure they'll be able to help. OTOH, maybe you'd alert them to some additional bugs, which is always a good thing.

• limit for tracks is 10000 points, and there is some limit to the number of tracks that can be uploaded. I did not hit that, but the loss of elevation data is a huge problem for me. inability to select color a second issue.

I did the empty here - empty there and then sync, and empty again and sync again. Mysteriously and randomly, certain tracks get synced and others don't.

for now I will do this: use app to sync exclusively the 66i for messages and contacts, and then manually upload what I need and not sync until I need again.

Garmin needs to put their acts together, this is just bad. Do you happen to have a link to report bugs?

thank you so much for sharing your knowledge!

• This thread is a very interesting read.  This is the first thread that provides any inkling to all of the same same stumbles I have encountered with Explore/Instinct synchronizations.  I have decided to stick with Basecamp which is compatible with my Instinct and 64st.  I appreciate the detailed description.