One device or two? (66i only vs InReach Mini plus 66st)

I'm hoping this community can provide meaningful input to help me make a decision. I've researched a lot of brands and devices and am now down to these two options:

EITHER a 66i OR an InReach Mini plus a 66st (separate devices for messaging and GPS)

Here's what I've learned (I think - please correct) concerning benefits.

1-device advantages (66i all-in-one):

• [Longer battery life for GPS usage] - Not material
  • Single-device convenience
  • Less total weight than 2 devices - especially if I don't need to bring a power pack
  • About $100 cheaper than 2 devices

2-device advantages (InReach Mini for messaging plus 66st for GPS):

• Longer battery life for messaging (set it and forget it unless there's an emergency - most activity on the 66st)
  • Easy-to-find batteries for the 66st
  • If one device fails, the other still works
  • Ability to carry a single, smaller/lighter device if I don't need GPS (e.g., I know the area well = just bring the Mini)

Please chime in with other pros/cons if you think of something I missed.

The big unknown for me is real-world battery life. Is it reasonable to expect the 66i to last for a 3-day/2-night trip without recharging (occasional GPS usage, expedition mode, 1-2 messages a day...just basic usage)? Longer? For the 66st, I would plan on rechargeables and a power pack (more weight) - will I be disappointed having to charge every night / multiple times a day?

Is there any consideration I haven't thought of? Any advice is appreciated.

Edited to adjust advantages lists above

• Something to consider since you raised the issue of "assuming you're able". There is an advantage to running iR tracking continuously in the back country. If you become disabled and are unable to send an SOS, your last known track point provides a starting point for SAR. Assuming, of course, that somebody at home eventually notices that you've not reported in as expected and asks for assistance. In my opinion (and it's just that), this is an important feature. 

• @twolpert - must be reading my mind.

This all started when my 19-year-old son decided to take a summer internship in Oregon (1900 miles from home). He is a very skilled / experienced outdoorsman so I'm not "generally" concerned...but...accidents happen

He will be the recipient of whatever device(s) I eventually buy. Suffice it to say that "it will be made clear to him" that when he spends his weekends hiking, camping, he WILL have the tracking uploads enabled. If he doesn't move for a half-day and doesn't respond to IR messages for another half-day, then you can guess what my next call will be.

On another note, the more I read about the 66i and its battery life, the more impressed I am. There are trail reports of "lasting all week" and "easily recharge with a 10ah power pack" (about the same weight as the 66i). 

I still haven't decided on 1 device or 2 but the notion of a 66i easily lasting a weekend trip (without recharge) and still having enough power for emergency communications seems a likely prospect.

• The 66i is the first iR device which is really a true member of the Garmin ecosystem.

After more research re: usage, I've come up with a new question - or rather a confirmation of what I think I learned:

My understanding is that the only way to sync contacts and preset messages with the InReach Explorer or Mini is by logging into the "InReach Portal Page" with a PC/Mac and syncing with a cable (unless this has changed)

However, with the 66i, you can sync contacts and preset messages via Bluetooth by using the Explore app on an iPhone or iPad.

If this is true, then the 66i looks better for my son because he does not have (or want) a computer. He is perfectly happing doing everything he needs with an iPad Pro and an iPhone.

Can someone please confirm my understand is correct - or set me straight on what I got wrong?

• This is not quite correct for the Explorer+ and Mini. You can sync OTA using the older Earthmate app on the phone.

The two devices are different. The Mini does not use the desktop sync app at all. It gets firmware updates via Garmin Express (different desktop app). It syncs data via the Earthmate app on the phone. Offhand, I don't remember if it even works with the desktop sync app for data transfer via a wired connection. There's no reason to do it.

The Explorer+/SE+ get f/w updates via the desktop sync app. I believe that they can also sync data via the desktop sync app. However, I believe they are also supported by the Earthmate app, which is usually the easier way to sync data. Apologies because I am not entirely certain of the details for these legacy devices. It's been a long time since I had an active Explorer+.

• OK that helps.

I just found "collections" on the internet and read up on them - I see what you're talking about now as well as the OTA sync to a Mini.

All in all, it seems the work flows with the 66i and the Explore app are (slightly) less convoluted. At least it seems you can do more with the (single) Explore app than the previous set of Earthmate, Link, Connect, etc. At least that's my impression. It also seems that this is the direction Garmin is moving (i.e., obsoleting the legacy DeLorme solutions). Maybe that's just my impression. I doubt they'll leave legacy device users without support. But I don't see them building new devices that use those legacy solutions.

Maybe "more future-proof" is another advantage of the 66i (?)

• I agree. This is why I don't recommend the legacy devices (Explorer+ and SE+) unless battery life is a very important consideration.

Note that Garmin Connect (mobile or otherwise) doesn't really come into play at all for the legacy devices. Even for the 66i, it does NOT sync inReach specific data such as contacts and preset/quick text messages. You have to use the Explore app for that. Just one more source of potential confusion.

• Yep. For me, there are a whole lot of potential sources of confusion.

I really appreciate your continued help here.

• After going back and forth many times and tons of research (at one point even considering an SE+ and an ETrex - both for their battery life), I think I have (almost) come to a decision. I'm strongly leaning toward a 66i. In the event someone else finds this thread, I'll list my reasons because, they are my reasons and may not apply to someone else's situation.

My initial use case will primarily be my son who will spend summers far from home and hiking/camping every spare moment - mostly in unfamiliar areas. My son does not have a computer. Instead he has an iPad Pro and an iPhone. Late in my research, this fact became more important with respect to his "usability" of the device(s). Namely, there is a lot you can't do with a lot of Garmin devices without a computer.

My reasons for choosing a 66i (in addition to the advantages originally stated):

• More "future-proof" as it appears Garmin is moving toward the Explore portal / Explore app.
    • Day-to-day device management can be done with the Explore portal and Explore app for IOS and do not require a computer.
      This includes route plotting, exporting/importing routes, tracks, and way points, downloading both Garmin and free maps, "BirdsEye" downloads (directly to 66i over WiFi), etc. I understand that Explore isn't the best solution right now and is, at times, finicky but I'm rolling the dice that this will get better over time (thinking my odds are high if I'm right about Garmin moving more devices to this platform).

Disadvantages & mitigation:

• Lower battery life is the primary detractor from this solution: 
      I'll add a 10 amp power bank (I found one from MonoPrice that is the lightest I've found by several ounces).
    • Reports have been made claiming risks when charging on the trail due to the rubber cap covering the USB port becoming torn and/or the the cable being wet causing corrosion or shorting or simply not charging.
      I'll add a cradle charger with eliminates the need to open the rubber cap at all.
    • This package (66i + power bank + charging cradle) is the heaviest of all considered solutions.
      My son is young and strong so I'll tell him to suck it up

My (hopefully) last request of this forum on this topic: Can someone confirm my understanding?

1. Express (desktop app) is ONLY needed to update firmware, update (but not download) Garmin maps, and install Connect IQ widgets
    2. Explore (portal + mobile app) can perform all the normal, day-to-day tasks you need to perform on a 66i including GPS-/navigation-related tasks and InReach-related tasks (changing preset messages, texting from a phone, etc.).

Thanks

• The only quibble has to do with maps. Express can be used to download and install additional purchased maps (over and above any which come preinstalled on the 66i). Obviously, the purchase of such maps is optional. Some of the compatible maps are available via download or on an SD card. If you choose to purchase maps on SD, then Express is not required at all.

Note that additional Garmin maps tend to be expensive. My recollection is that downloaded maps can be updated later. Maps purchased on SD are not updated. If you want the latest and greatest version of an SD-delivered map, you have to buy the map again. It's been a while since I bought Garmin maps. If you are interested in additional maps (for example, 24K topos or City Navigator), you should check the terms and conditions for the various media (download vs. SD vs. CD/DVD, if they're still available that way) before deciding on how to purchase.

Edited to add: Note that the flap covering the USB connector is neither waterproof nor dust-proof. The connector itself is sealed. The flap is there to keep out crud which would prevent you from plugging in the cable. That's not to say that you don't need to worry about the pins on the connector. You do have to take common-sense precautions to avoid using the connector in a downpour or under water. But I (personally) would not go so far as to lug a charging cradle to avoid opening the flap. When you think about it, there's going to be a connection somewhere in the path from the battery pack to cradle anyhow.

• I'll check into the details re: maps sourced from Garmin - thanks for the heads-up on that. In practice, I anticipate using OSM or other freely-sourced maps a lot more often, if not exclusively. The Files app on iPad/iPhone makes transferring these maps from website to SD a reality (finally Apple!). It might be possible to plug the 66i directly into an iPad and see the SD card as a drive. I've not confirmed that but it's not really necessary since I have confirmed you can accomplish the same thing with a Lightning SD card reader.

I understand the charging cradle is overkill and I may not get one. Completely disabling the USB plug in the field is, after all, a very small risk and is easy to avoid.

Thanks again for all your help.