GPSMAP 66i Version for using AA batteries

Is there a plan to launch a 66i which can be used with AA /rechargeable batteries?

A GPS-Iridium device without the option to run on batteries in an emergency is as useful as a 4x4 SUV in the city. Nice for a family holiday, nothing more unfortunately ...

Best regards

Karsten

• Been a long time since I had an active SE. But I thought it also had an internal (non-swappable) rechargeable battery?

• AA batteries are heavy for their capacity and they're quite bulky. This is a terrible idea. You can use a powerbank or a powerbank powered from one aa battery, if you really insist on aa batteries. The problem with the current system is not that it's lithium based, but it's not user replaceable (well, it probably is but garmin don't want you to know that). So in two years time when the battery is not at full capacity, you're to treat your item like a disposable bit of plastic.

What would be better is if garmin made and sold batteries you could buy. Alternatively, if it could be powered from a lithium 18650 battery but this would make it somewhat big and heavy. The simple solution is to have a case you can disassemble and disconnect and replace the battery. Much like pretty much every business laptop currently on the market.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to Garmin-Andrew

I’m a hunter, I spend 2 weeks at a time in the bush with no cell reception, having the ability to contact family every few days is nice but without  being able to change a battery on the go is a joke, I don’t stalk with a power bank, who wants that hassle? having a spare set of AAs in my belt is easy, garmin have created a problem for many to create a fix for few, it’s a step away from the 64 for me, if you cater to actual hunters that do the hard yards and not day trippers or hut dwellers then it would be different, this is one unit I will not use, not until garmin make it More practical for the field.

• Andrew, users (myself) and i think i speak for others here.... i dont want to invest in a $600 unit only to garbage it in 4 years when the battery lifespan is complete. What does that plan look like?

Larry

• We understand your concern and appreciate the feedback for our product development. Even now we have exchange options available for customers who experience battery capacity reduction on our products both in and out of warranty. Our built-in batteries can last for quite some time when properly managed, just like built-in batteries of smartphones. For example, we have many customers still using Delorme inReach SE and Explorer devices with built-in batteries that are more than four years old.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 3 years ago in reply to Garmin-Andrew

You miss the point being made, it’s not just about how long it lasts it’s about replacement in the field, 2 weeks In  bush Burning a charge every day without the ability to use or carry spare batteries is this units downfall and the reason your company will not get a sale from 1000s of hunter’s especially in New Zealand. 

• NO - do you don't understand: I'm tired of repeating it. One last try: The more important point is the possibility: easy and uncomplicated to use batteries when you are in areas without power supply for a long time. No - in the long run no power bank helps. My summery: You had devices for expeditions, now you have devices for family holidays (ok ok, family holiday pulse).

• How manny batteries are you taking with you? Weight? And why does a power power bank doesn’t help on a long run? Weight? Is a power bank really heavier than 10 AA batteries, for example?

And yes, I also like more device with user changeable batteries.

• and was the pager transmitting and did it have GPS? None of them, this is why they were so popular...

• Does there exist any device communication via Iridium with some dry cells like AA etc? I did so far not meet one. Iridium pager receives only, it does not transmit.

Even our 'old' original Delorme Trackes have Li Battery inside and it is glued in and generally as replacable as the one in a current iPhone.

So I think to have a powerbank with some solar charger etc might help.

Problem with any Li power sources is the air transport restrictions and in some cases the low temperature problem.