Sync with iPhone?

OK, I bought this to replace a delorme explorer.  I used that as a standalone.

my question is this.  can I sync this with my iPhone to do the texting with instead of using the onscreen?  What app do I use?  I use Garmin watches and use the connect app.  can I send texts through the iPhone using the 66I?

I should add, I cannot seem to sync the 66I to my iPhone using the connect app.  Not sure why.

• Messaging and other functions are available through the Explore mobile app. The 66i needs to be paired with the Connect mobile app first.

If you have problems syncing the 66i via GCM, be sure you have the latest version of GCM. Also the latest 66i firmware. 66i firmware updates are handled via Garmin Express on a PC. This is particularly important if you are running any version of iOS 13. If so, it’s also worth making sure you have the latest iOS 13 version du jour.

Depending on the watch model, limited remote control functionality may be available via the watch. This requires you to pair the watch and the 66i in Sensors and Accessories.

• Great.  Got it set up.

i was not aware that you could pair the garmin watches with the 66i.  What functionality would this add?  I have the fenix 6x.

• If supported by the watch, you get the ability to start/stop LiveTrack, view LiveTrack statistics for the current track, see incoming messages, and send preset messages. I assume that the f6x supports this. However, my only direct experience is with an f5x+. The 66i is listed as a "compatible device" for f6 series.

• Ok, that makes sense.  Thanks for your help.