Incorrect route elevation profile

In a recent trip to the Dolomites I noticed that elevation profile for the active route shown on the altimeter page was incorrect. What could be causing this? When multiple maps are installed, how does the device select which map to obtain elevation data from?

I was using GPSMAP 66i and navigating using routes (not tracks). I had a route for each day. Every single day I noticed that the elevation profile for that day's route was incorrect. In general, the profile coincided with my vertical direction of travel, but it was incorrect with respect to how much I still had to ascend or descend. For example, the profile would show that at a certain point I would have to descend to 5000 feet but in reality I end up descending to say 3700. The same thing happened when ascending. Is as if the altitude data was incorrect in whatever map was being used to fetch elevation data.

But the map elevation doesn't seem to be incorrect. For starters, I had installed two different maps for Italy. Both are based on OSM but from different sources. The contours drawn on the maps showed the correct elevation. I performed routing by enabling/disabling all combinations of the maps (Including the Global DEM) and I would always get the same incorrect profile.

I have yet to try if I can replicate the same thing is the US. Maybe the issue has to do with the maps installed, or not. I just don't know how to determine that.

Thanks

Jesus

• I am having a similar issue: Imported a track that will take me to the top of a 14er, roughly 5k ft. elevation gain. However, when I open up the track on my gpsmap 66i, the track summary shows 0 elevation gain and no elevation profile. I have also noticed the trip computer failing in similar ways, when I descended rougly 3k ft on a hike, but when I checked at the end my device showed 0 elevation change.

• Not sure, but the latest firmware update may have solved this problem.  I reported to Garmin a few months ago that the track ascent kept incrementing even after you stopped tracking.  If that was what caused your crazy ascent readings, then the new update may have solved the problem.  I believe a comment in the update said it had something to do with expedition node.  Were you using expedition mode, Jesus?  And was your 66i turned on for many hours when the track was paused?