GPSMAP 66i 4.30 Software: Position Format of NZTM does not display coordinates

After updating to 4.30 the 66i no longer displays coordinates for the New Zealand NZTM Position Format.

Below is NZTM and 2 other formats:

NZTM Position Format with no coordinates                          

The same blank NZTM occurs on other pages too like the Trip Computer data field and marking a waypoint.

If saving the 'blank' waypoint the coordinates display in the Waypoint > Review page.

When on the map page with the cursor away from any feature the coordinates display normally at the top of the screen

This issue was bought to my attention today by a customer with a 66s.  My 66i was OK until I updated to version 4.30.

Edit 24 hours after the initial post:  The customer with the 66s has updated his unit to version 3.10 and now the NZTM displays correctly.

I'll send this link to Garmin Support in Sydney,

• Thanks Rich for doing that.  I'm surprised it has taken so long - I assumed that if NZTM was OK in the previous software version it would no be too hard to find out what changes produced the fault.   

• Hi

+1 for this problem with my unit too. Have upgraded to 5.40 this morning and while I am rapt that they have finally sorted out the InReach Weather functionality it was disappointing to see that the NZTM error still hasn’t been addressed.

I will contact Garmin this week to follow up as you suggested in one of your later posts. 

Cheers Cuz,

Scott

• I have just opened a case for this issue with my 66s. For me it is intermittent.
    Without changing any settings I can change the status by turning it off and on.
    So it usually will NOT display NZTM. It sometimes does display it.
    So a reboot will only sometimes resolve it.
    Interestingly, while it does not display NZTM at the same time I can set another data field to display deg lat/long and that works fine. So the unit does know it's location, it just fails to display it as NZTM.

Garmin response has been good and prompt. The told me today that the engineers know about the issue and are working on it.

I note that the GPSMAP 66s runs different SW than the 66i.
    I suspect the 66s is more like the other Garmin GPSMAP products. (64 etc)
    The 66i appears to operate more like the inreach explorer. 

I am used to the 64s so I went with 66s and have an inreach mini. (Used)

So far so good. Apart from NZTM I love the 66s. Works very well for me. You can manage the battery life easily enough with rechargeable AAs.

• This issue has been woefully managed by Garmin Australia.  After 3 months, on 29th November, Garmin Product Support emailed me:

Thank you for contacting Garmin Australasia. The reported issue with NZTM has been resolved the  current version of software.  If you are still finding issues with the NZTM please reply to this email to advise

Of course it has not been fixed.  A customer told me he contacted Garmin in Sydney in early December and was told it has not been fixed and there's no estimated date. 

I've sent recent screen captures back to Garmin but there's no point loading them here as apart from the location, the pictures are very similar to the opening post. 

Correct, the 66i has different software to the general 66 series.

Currently the 66i latest version is 5.40 (66i Change History) but in order to display NZTM Position Format we need to stay with version 3.00.

The latest software for the 66 series is 3.40 and here is the Change History.  Likewise, version 3.00 is required to display NZTM correctly.

At least two of us have told Garmin this fault has got to the stage where units sold in NZ need a warning sticker on the outside informing customers, many of whom expect to use the NZTM format in conjunction with paper maps, that the feature is faulty.  A Dealer Memo also needs to be issued so that customers can be cautioned about the problem.

• That is discouraging. A bit like the EPIX, if there are not enough people using it then they are reluctant to spend any money fixing it.
    I will give them a chance to fix it and maybe start pushing to Garmin worldwide. Or request a refund.
    It is pretty useless if their premium outdoor GPS does not support the local topo map standard.

• Currently, we are aware that the issue with NZTM position format coordinates is still occurring and have a support ticket open which our teams are currently investigating. If you’re experiencing this issue and have not contacted your countries' Product Support, please do so at your convenience so we can add information about your device to the ticket to help with the investigation process.

• Hi 

Hi Niklas. Is there any update on this annoying issue with the NZTM position format? It’s been an issue for more than four months now and is really compromising the usefulness of the device for us folks in New Zealand. 

Thanks in advance. 
    Scott

• Hi Niklas,

I also feel fair time has been given to resolve this issue and will need to press for a refund too as its unusable in NZ - we need NZTM working and displaying properly?

cheers

Rich

• Hi all.

I have the 66st and also face this issue. I called Garmin 3 days ago and they said they knew about it and where working on it. 

But yes I feel it is taking far too long. It seems bizarre that the basic function of a GPS is to show co ordinates and this is unable to do it. I really like my unit but it's getting silly that we have not heard anything. Even an update of the issue would be great. 

Cheers,

Roy.

• Thank you all for your patience, sincere apologies for this taking so long. We have identified the issue and plan on having it fixed with a software update by February. We will post in the forums when the update is available.