Updates?

IS there a way to shut off automatically updating the 66i?  i recently purchased one and scheduled a trip to test  sending messages, as i will be need it for a trip where i will be out of service for a month or so.  i did all the updates before i left for my trip. Once i arrived, it downloaded an update that broke my birdseye downloads.  well, the update that just downloaded fixed the problem, which is fantastic timing as i am now headed back to the airport...

So, is there a way to shut off 'automatic updates'

thanks

• I usually update via Express. I am not sure if OTA updates are delivered via WiFi or BT courtesy of GCM. Unless somebody who knows for sure chimes in, you should turn off both WiFi and BT.

In any case, you can decline to install the update when you boot the 66i. I think you will be prompted on each reboot until you do install it. Not sure because I’ve never declined.

• Thanks for the response.  This is my first garmin gps and i've never used Express.  To this point, i have only used the garmin connect app and when it syncs it would just send ipdates to the device.  i never paid attention to the reboot of the 66i.  I'll pay more attention next time.  again, thanks! 

• Just caught GCM delivering 4.20 to my 66i. Other devices, like the F5X+, have a setting to control auto-updates. Could not find a setting on the 66i. 

So far, delivery of the update has failed three times with sync fail. Not sure why.

Succeeded fourth try. Verified that you will be prompted on each reboot until you accept the update.

• I'm pretty sure it asks anyway.  Once the file gets onto the device you need to restart the device in order to trigger the update.  It presents a prompt advising it has found new firmware and asking if you want to install it.  Just say No if you're in the wild or about to be??

• I can confirm what said.  The GPSMAP 66i will ask you if you want to install the update before installing it.  So if you choose to wait on the update, then keep refusing it at that time. 

Though it needs to be said, this is an SOS device, so it is important to keep up to date on the software since there is a lot of things going on in the backside.  The most comment problem the Support teams see when working with inReach customers is that the device is not updated to date and/or has not been synced. So if anyone runs any issue, please update the software and then Sync your device and try it again. If you keep having issues, reach out the support teams since we want to know and get started on a fix right away.

• Can confirm this. My 66i just asked me, if I want to update to a new software

•   Wish you were here this morning, I had a handful to update and need a hand. :)  Thank you for confirming though!