GPSMAP 66i SD Card issues

I was trying to load the 24k maps from Garmin Express to a 32gb card.  The card previously had the same map file that I used for my 66st.   Garmin switched the file on my account to my 66i so I could re download and use on my new device.  Prior to download I reformatted the card on a Mac computer to FAT format.  I downloaded the map file but the 66i would not read it.  Base camp on the computer saw it, but the 66i never did.  I reformatted the card several times and re download, but it never took.   I then took a brand new never used 32g card and tried again, this time it worked.   My concern is, could this be hardware or software? I’m within a return window so torn on what to do.  Would hate to get stuck with the next map purchase not being able to download.   Also FWIW during the 4 or 5 attempts to get the map loaded, the device drained nearly 30% battery.   No way would it get near 35 hours based on what I saw just loading a map.   Anyone else have SD card issues?   

• 32 is the max stated by Garmin.  The issues at hand are that some devices appear to have a sensitivity with the SD cards, and that maps on said 32 cards can’t be read unless the card is expressly formatted as FAT32.....which apparently Mac computer can’t do.  I formatted my card to FAT which was the only option on my Mac, but the 66i could not read it.   Basecamp saw the file but the Gps wouldn’t read it.  I tried a new card and it took.   So as an above poster said, it’s something that has to be exactly FAT32.   I agree, would be nice if the Garmin folks could either change that or give the option for a self format.   Many dash cams do, and I believe Garmins own 66w cam self formats.  

• I took my 66i out today and all seemed to be well until my 24k maps started to disappear mid trip.  Tried power cycle and remove and replace the card.  Not much else you could do out there.  Once I returned home and power cycled the device the maps appeared back again.  Based on my experience so far and some posts on other forums, it seems as if there is indeed a sensitive sd card issue.  

• Update.  I exchanged my 66i for another.  I’m not normally that way, but it was too buggy right out of the gate.   On setup of the new, it had a few things different than the first in the process.   My initial try on downloading the 24k maps didn’t take.  I tried another card and it took.  So far this unit feels better than the last....could be placebo effect, but I’m going to give it a try in the field.  Just wanted to update you as they’re seems to indeed be some card or reader sensitivity. 

• I cannot get a card to work in my 66i either. First tried a 64gb and then found this thread so went and got a 16gb (no 32gb available nearby). This is a Sandisk UHS-I formatted to FAT32 - but still not working. Basecamp can see the SD Card but nothing saved there shows on my gps. Have tried the Garmin suggested test of adding a jpg file in a folder called JPEG and nothing showing in Photo Viewer

Also, can anyone please advise if maps are stored in a folder and what the file extension is for a map? I previous used a third party .img map in my 64ST (now sold) and I just recall it being saved in the main SD Card folder, not a sub folder.

Thanks!!

• I don't have a 66i but in every other handheld the map or maps are in the Garmin folder, either on the device or card.

• That's correct for the 66i as well.

• thanks - and for pictures or photos - do they just save into the 'Garmin' folder or another sub folder? if a sub folder what is it named? 

• *.img maps are to be placed in the Garmin directory. For more information, please see GPSrChive > How To... > Maps

• If you are looking into buying a MicroSD card or already have one for your GPSMAP 66i, please make sure that you meet and do not go over the MricoSD/Memory Card Requirements.

Model Maximum Memory Card Card Type Interface Class
    GPSmap 66i 32GB microSD Mass Storage Class 4 to Class 10

Believe it or not, there are a lot of MicroSD cards out there on the market for all type of things like storage to recording high-end video recording. So do not go crazy and buy the best one on the shelf or search results.  Also, try to avoid UHS MicroSD cards since they seem to have a higher electrical capacitance and have enough variation that we can not guarantee they will work.

• Where it says 

Where it says "Class 4 to Class 1", the "0" has been left off "Class 10".

[