Transfering routes & tracks from iPhone to GPSMAP 66i

Is there a way to transfer routes and tracks for third party iPhone apps to the 66i? Garmin Explore does not show up as a "share" option from other apps such as Gaia, Maps 3D, Footpath etc.

While Garmin Connect does show up as "share" option on other apps, the 66i is not supported by Garmin Connect for the purpose of transferring courses. And even if it did, Garmin Connect requires Internet connection.

Being able to transfer routes/tracks designed on other apps is essential as Garmin devices suck big time for planning purposes due to how maps are rendered and specially to how slow zooming and panning are.

Jesus

• I am not aware of any way to do this without an Internet connection or, at least, a locally connected PC. 

With an Internet connection, the most straightforward way to do this is to import the .gpx file into the Explore web site as a track or route (aka course, sometimes...). Then sync it to the device using the Explore app. Importing as a track will give you full fidelity. Importing as a route will thin the points to an acceptable number (maximum of 200, IIRC).

If you have a local PC, another approach is to transfer the .gpx file from the iPhone to the PC. Connect the 66i, which will show up as a removable USB "drive". Copy the file to the Garmin\GPX folder. Do not forget to dismount the USB drive properly. The file will then show up as a track on the device.

Interesting comment about GCM support for course imports. Will have to try this when I get a chance.

Do note that the Explore app itself is not a bad alternative for planning short routes. The user interface is much friendlier (and more responsive) than the web UI.

• Verified that the 66i is listed as not compatible in GCM for course transfer. No idea why.

• Strange. Komoot is definitely working for the 66i, why not gcm...

• The best way would be, if they add third party gpx file upload to Garmin Explore...

• I am also looking for an app to cooy gpx from iphone to gpsmap 66

and i do not want to pay every month therefore

• I had trouble too.  I ended up giving up and used Wikiloc.

• But you need wikiloc premium therefore and have to pay every month.

i prefer paying one time and not every month

• Eight months on, still no way to do this. Does Garmin expect people to lug a laptop into the great outdoors in 2020 to get full use of their handheld devices?? Surely it should be possible to send a route via Bluetooth from a smartphone without an internet connection like you can for fenix watches

• Verified that the 66i is listed as not compatible in GCM for course transfer. No idea why.

I was given the impression that the Explore app can access gpx files imported to Connect. My conjecture led me to believe the data flow would be:

gpx file --> Connect app --> Explore app --> 66i

Is that not possible?

• No. As far as I know, the only flow that works for routes is .gpx > import to Explore web site > sync to Explore app > sync to device OTA via BT.

You can mount the device as a removable USB "drive" and copy the file directly to the device. I have never done this with a route (or course, depending on which terminology you prefer). This is not to say that it does not work - just that I have not tried it. I have done direct file transfer with waypoints, tracks, and geocaches. All of those work.

Edited to add: There are other threads that address various back-handed ways to do this. But they all require an Internet connection at SOME point in the process.