Steps are good but and miles walked are off by A LOT when golfing

I'm noticing a a big difference in the miles walked number after playing golf. This is an extreme case showing 40 miles walked on 14,000 steps (usually off by about a mile on 6 miles) That should be closer to 7 miles and only seeing this when using the watch to play golf. I suspect the golf app is possibly using the GPS distance traveled and ignoring steps? Can someone confirm this please? Possibly that day the app was still running as I drove around afterwards? Not sure, but this can really be a very bad calculation happening while using the app for golf which it is obviously suppose to be designed for.

• What do you see in GC when you check the route on the map?

• I don't see any route map anywhere for golf activity. I see them for walks but not golf. Not in connect or the Garmin golf app either. Where are you seeing this?

• After playing golf and ending the golf-app I got a message on my iPhone, that the activity is now visible in GC app. If I open GC I see then two entries, one for the activity with the distance, calories and time and the second one with the data from my golf course with sum of shots, number of plyed holes and type of play e.g. stroke play.

If I tap on the first one I come in GC to a window that shows the details of my activity with a map and my route on the top:

If I foget to finish my play and see it at home, then I can see the whole way to my home, but at moment no example for that...

• Not seeing that on mine and also using iphone 14 pro max. I went into settings and there is a toggle to "record activity" that was off by default. I turned that on, not sure if that is why or not but I'll find out Monday after golf.

Thanks for the reply.

• I think, you found it! Good luck for your next play!

• Worked great!

For those wanting saved GPS data for miles walked, with route map into Garmin Connect and not getting it, here is the info to get it. BTW this is off by default for some silly reason.

From top of screen on Garmin Connect tap on the watch (has green circle on it)

Next tap Approach S70

Next tap Activities and Apps

Next tap Golf

Next toggle on the Record Activity button at bottom (should go blue)

Done

• The "Record Activity" setting can also be switched on directly through the watch by tapping the middle button on the side from the main time screen > Select Settings > Golf Settings > Scroll down the Golf Settings list and tap the switch on next to the Record Activity option towards the bottom of the menu. 

Regarding distance recorded for the Golf activity that records and is displayed in Garmin Connect...the distance displayed is recorded entirely by GPS location for the route travelled throughout the layout of the golf course during the round. The distance includes both your movement from walking and from driving in the cart. 

Steps are not attributed nor displayed in the Golf activity viewed through Garmin Connect, and does not display on the activity page showing the activity data that was recorded. 

Any steps recorded that day during the timeframe while playing golf is recorded separately outside of the activity per the activity tracking features that record throughout the entire day while wearing the watch. Other non-golf activities recorded on the S70 like "Run" for example, use both GPS and steps recorded throughout the activity to help provide an accurate pace...but still also do not provide step information with the activity data. Steps help to provide a stride length to improve speed/pace readings, especially when GPS signal is spotty or environmentally affected...but this is not the case with Golf recording as an activity. 

Hope this helps to add some clarification as to why the distance during the golf activity is not a reflection of steps tracked. 

• Yes, that I also have to learn, e.g.using a trolley, specially with the arm where the watch is, gives less steps. So I changed my look to daily activities to distance (for me km) and that's ok for me.