S70 Not Detecting Shots

I can see this is a fairly common issue. I have had my S70 for 2+ months and it has been a very frustrating issue for a $700 watch. Today 8 drives (driver & 3 wood) did not record. And my swing speed is NOT slow. Tried practice swings first, after, hoping it detected movement but NOTHING. Once off the tee it reacts fairly well until around the green, but after reading other forum member's comments I'll try using the Measure Shot feature. Also just downloaded the latest update and see how that goes, but if the watch needs to detect the striking of the ball I'm not too optimistic. 

Any other suggestions are GREATLY appreciated.

Michael

• I have this sometimes on tee shots, if I hit the ball softly, more on chips. I started 2018 with a S60 and have now the epix pro gen2, I play very often golf, nearly every day. I learned to check after each shot, if my watch has detected it, otherwise: add shot ...

It works so automatic for me, that if I had to add a shot, I do it during walking to the ball, no problem.

General, I did not buy this watches only for golf, also the other health measurement, special with the epix now, are important for me.

What I also learned, don't play with the watch, play golf! During a round of golf I use only the tournament mode and there only the distances to the flag and to hazards, other things are disturbing only my concentration for the play ...

• I am having this issue since the last update with most tee shirts and FW shots.  I am also now having an issue where the score card only getting half uploaded to Garmin golf app but the watch has all the round info on it fully complete.

• Some factors to consider in order for the watch to detect shots as designed: 

• Open Settings > User Profile > Wrist needs to be set to left with watch worn on left wrist (if using right-handed clubs) or needs to be set and worn on right (if using left-handed clubs). If the watch is not worn on the lead wrist, it will not properly detect the impact of the club face hitting the ball, nor the correct angle of the backswing through the internal gyro/accelerometer sensors. 
    • Ensure always that the front, middle, and back distances are displayed on screen for the correct hole prior to teeing off. If the watch display is still prompting the score or a shot assignment from the previous hole, shots going forward will not record until the screen is cleared. 
    • Review further info outlined on the Garmin Support article linked here: My Garmin Golf Watch Is Not Detecting Shots Automatically
    • For Swing Tempo, Tempo Training, and AutoShot detection to work, a ball must be hit while taking a full swing. Partial swings, chip shots, putts, and practice swings are not designed to be tracked by the watch itself. 
    • It is not common for the failure of the watch hardware to be the cause of shots not being detected. One way you can check if the hardware sensors responsible for tracking shots is working, is to confirm is steps are recording on the watch. You can also open the Tempo Training app on the watch and take shots hitting balls into a net/driving range to test outside of being actually on a golf course to test if the watch is recording shots consistently. The Tempo Training app can also help determine other possible cause or tendencies with specific clubs that may result in the watch not recording to determine if the impact is too low, possible grip, or swing style may be contributing to the concern. 
  • Cody, Thanks for taking tome to reply, however you can check off the first 4 bullet points. Played again Friday and the same issue reoccurs. I tried the measure distance option and it still askes for a swing after teeing off. I need to pound the club head into the ground in order for the watch to detect the swing. Not an issue with irons or woods from the fairway. Just tee shots. My swing/impact speed is definitely not low (85-90 swing speed during fitting), grip is neutral and style? I doubt as still driving 220 - 230 yards. And yes, my step are being recorded in the activity function (1074 so far today).

My last resort is to loosen the the watch band a notch to see if that has any impact. 

I do like the watch, BUT, the frustration on not responding to tee shots for $700, well.

• Are you selecting the Measure Shot option from the main golf menu prior to taking the tee shot? ...or was the measure shot option taken after teeing off already? (just requesting clarification). Prior to teeing off, the "Swing to Start Measuring" prompt should be displayed on the screen from the Measure Shot menu. 

• I did both. Started with the normal function then tried using the Measure Shot option selected prior to teeing off. If it didn't record the swing I had to take one swing pounding the clubhead into the turf. It then started measuring. 

And thanks for taking interest.

• It seems that the impact of your tee shot when using your driver is not generating enough impact from the club face to the ball in order for that shot type to register. This seems to be reflected in the info you provided with other shots being recorded when using irons. (I am not sure if irons and woods are also having the issue when teeing off) but this could be attributed to teeing up the ball off of the ground and resulting in less impact getting recorded from your swing off tees vs hitting off a grass lie. 

I would not recommend loosening the watch strap tightness, but check and make sure you are wearing the watch as close as you can to wear it would normally sit on the wrist and ensure that the glove is not getting in the way or requiring the watch to be worn higher up on the wrist. 

Also can you confirm if this happening on every hole when teeing off? ...the only other cause I can think of, is at the beginning of the round, if skip is selected vs letting the watch fully acquire satellites...could result in the shot not being recorded due to the watch not having a complete satellite acquisition to the course location. 

• Thanks, I use a taylormade M6 driver and contact is quite good (could send a clubface pic to verify). Otherwise satellite acquisition is good (a west coast FL course, no trees, etc) and I don't skip, let the satellite fully acquire. I'm playing twice later this week so I'll try the adjustments and get back to you then.

• I learned to check after a shot if the watch starts with measuring the distance, if not, I add manually the shot and club ...

• I have this issue non stop over the past 3 weeks when playing golf,  i think i have nailed down what the issue is. 

pre this patch and on the s62 or s70 when the hole was over and i had entered my score it would "release" the shots if say i few the green and the holes are close to each other.  now this appears to NOT release the shot even when the holes are not close to each other.

since i am scared to open the garmin golf app when i am playing due to score cards getting eaten i have noticed that post round when i go to review holes and look for shots that are not being picked up many times it has a shot with a SW (which has a CT10) "stuck" even though ive entered a score for the hole and moved to the next hole and then it does not pick up my drive.

I have also noticed that when this is not happening if i hit a smooth drive or FW it does not detect it.  went over your entire checklist above as other users have stated and this appears to only be happening as of the last update.