Swing Tempo vs Tempo Training - what's the difference?

Hi, I'm looking at upgrading my watch and checking the comparisons between Approach and Epic watches. On the Golf functions, there is Swing Tempo and Tempo Training shown separately. What is the difference between them? I was thinking Swing Tempo is just analyzing your tempo (on the range and/or while playing a round) and Tempo Training is, well, training. But can anyone confirm this or provide more information? Thanks!

• Tempo training is an activity app to be used for swing training separately from using the actual golf app feature. The fenix 7 and epix Gen 2 series offer swing tempo training through the separate Tempo Training Activity App, but not in the shot menu during golf rounds. 

The Swing Tempo feature we list separately is specifically available during golf rounds recorded on the watch. The feature allows users to view the tempo from the shot menu, for shots recorded during the round. The only devices in our current lineup that offer Swing Tempo during golf rounds are Approach S70, Approach S62, and MARQ Golfer Gen 2...which also have the Tempo Training activity app as well. 

We offer a product search option on our support site for users to check specific devices to see if the Tempo Training feature is offered as a feature on the product you type in. Below is a link reference the product search tool we offer to see if Tempo Training is a relevant feature for devices: 

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=NljA2uNqkv4XQCj9pB66A6&tab=topics

For those who are using devices compatible with Tempo Training, access the Add + menu at the bottom of the activity menu list > Then expand the Other category section to add Tempo Training to their app favorites list in the main activity menu. 

• why are these functions not offered on both the Fenix and Epix being that these are your flagships?  I am a current Fenix user and avid golfer, but also avid hiker, runner, biker etc.  Its just software and i dont understand the compromise when the hardware is the same.

This seems like those buying the flagship devices are shorted some useful features that should be there.

• Agree on this. Also, I hope you don’t mind me asking but are the Training Analysis functions of the Fenix useful for running, biking and similar activities only? Thinking of the Epix as I said but my activities are mostly golf, weightlifting, indoor biking, yoga. 

• The graphics of the course and fairways is definitely superior on the S70.  Especially the S70 47mm.  The screen is also bigger than the Epix unless you go for the 51mm version, which is a pretty big device.

One of the bigger things missing from the S70 that would be there on the Epix is maps.  I use those extensively for my trail runs.  But sounds like you are mostly indoor for other activities so that wouldn't impact you.

One other big one for cyclists is there is no power meter support on the S70.  Again, that might not be as important given you don't mention out door biking so a power meter would be less beneficial.

If golf is your main activity, and the others are more casual or just to stay in shape, I'd probably go with the S70.  Personally I also like the lighter weight.

It really is too bad there isn't a device that has all the functionality of the Epix and all the superior golf features.  It is better than it used to be, though, as the S70 has brought in more of the non golf functionality than the S62 had.

• yeah, the titanium epix is really nice though. thanks for the reply, looks like I'll be saving some money. haha.

• I just bought the S70 and did a session of Tempo Training.

1) It did not record that as an activity? (or where can I find it)

2) Where can I review how I went in trends of tempo? That is, I spent an hour hitting balls and trying to fix my tempo according to the garmin app. Where do I review my activity now so I can improve next time? 

• I don't believe Tempo Training actually records an activity.  One, I don't see a activity file.  Two, there is no Start/Stop/Save functionality with the app.

As for the other piece that Garmin Cody mentions, where you can get the tempo data during a round, it's not clear to me if this actually gets saved to the score card or not.  Just looked at my last round and I don't see that as part of the Score Card on GCM.  There are a couple numbers in the raw scorecard.fit file that could be it, but I'll have to pay attention during my next round.  At least then they could add the functionality to view it later, which would be nice.

I do see in the last shot data during the round where you can see the Temp info.  I just did a dummy round here at home and added a manual shot.  Since it was a manual shot and not a real shot, the tempo was just 0.0.

To view this page after taking a shot during a round, press the start button, select last shot, and scroll to the shot you want to view.

• Thank you ekutter.

I have used Arccos for 4 years, and this Tempo plus Green Contours is the reason I ditched my Fitbit for S70. Plus great battery life. 

I am still using Arccos for shot tracking on my phone. 

If Arccos gets Green contours happening and Garmin sits on their hands with Tempo, Tempo as it is will be a lost opportunity for Garmin. 

Yesterday I practiced Tempo and the app was great, all my 3.0 shots were straight and long. One needs to be able to do a post practice analysis to improve faster. 

Imagine if you can track your shots, and check your tempo post a round shot by shot....many Arccos users would switch.