Feedback for Green Contours on S62

1) There needs to be a way to download green contours to the watch BEFORE we get to the course. Even if everything works perfectly (meaning you start your round, get the prompt that contours are downloading and keep your phone close, then after 5-10 minutes your watch "reloads" the round), the wait time often overlaps with the start of the round and has multiple inconveniences with missed shots/yardages or it not being finished by the time you're on the first green. When it doesn't work perfectly, you have to start the round multiple times... open/close the app on your phone... and spend lots of time fiddling with things on the course just to get the download started. You can't even start a round at your specific course until you are nearby because when you skip the "Locating Satellites" prompt, the list of courses you are given is very short. This could easily be integrated into the "offline download" section of the app. Add a button to push contours to the watch ahead of time. And there definitely should be a force-start button on the watch so you aren't waiting indefinitely when its not working as it should.

2) The auto-rotation of the aerial view (depending on the direction you are facing) is questionable at best. It's very hard to get your bearing while the thing is spinning to lock on to the direction you are facing. You should be able to turn this feature off so you can MANUALLY spin the map to where you are standing in relation to the mouth of the green (if you choose to do so). I would probably prefer to just leave the map with the mouth of the green facing down, and mentally place myself in the correct spot as you would with a physical green book. Maybe even just place a GPS dot on the green map to show where it thinks you are? Either of those solutions is better than the random spinning. It is very disorienting as-is.

3) On courses where there are no green contours available, the green map has an "!" and a message that says "Green contour data is currently not available for this course". When there ARE green contours available, but you just haven't downloaded them yet..... the message is exactly the same. There is no way to tell on the watch if contours actually exist.. you have to use the website. Am I waiting for the download prompt to start because it's just taking forever/not working, or is it never going to happen at all? The error messages should be different. This is even where you could place the "Force start" button I mentioned in #1.

Just my thoughts. I don't think I will be subscribing after the free trial until most of these usability issues are fixed.

Top Replies

All Replies

• Please add a way to lock the green contours for the S60/S62. The constant spinning makes it unusable.

• I agree with all your very valid points, especially being able to download contours before I get to the course. I had to restart my round 3 times this morning while on the first two holes. I was fiddling with my watch, instead of concentrating on my game! 

There is also nothing to indicate the status of the download. Is it still downloading or has it finished?? 

It's as if nobody tested this before rolling it out.

I am nearing the end of my free trial and will NOT subscribe as long as theses issues exist. How will I know if the issues have been fixed? Do I wait until next season?

• Agreed. Spinning greens are very confusing. 

• The auto rotation when viewing Green Contours is by design. When you are on the green and you are looking at the slope of the green, you are almost always stationary. It would be more difficult to view the Green Contours while moving.

Although adding a lock option may help, it could also cause issues by having to then unlock the screen each time you change positions on the green. I did open up a ticket with our development team on possibly improving on this.

I am going to send you a private message to gather additional details. For anyone else who may have similar concerns, please hover over my name and send me a private message.

• When at the green, a golfer will usually walk around to view it from different angles (slopes). When walking around, the auto rotate keeps jumping around, and takes too long to set the correct layout in relation to the fairway. One has to stop and wait too long for it to get it's bearings and then display the green correctly.

A stationary shot of the green is what is needed for me, as pace of play is important in golf. 

If your team could come up with an auto rotate lock option, that would be a great solution. 

• Based on s reply I think he is interpreting a "lock" as a way to freeze the green position AFTER it has already spun to the supposedly correct location.

I was not suggesting that at all, but rather a way to disable the spinning (if you choose) altogether. Never spin at all, just show the contours as you would see in a physical green book. Maybe add a dot to show your GPS location on the green to assist getting your bearings, but anything would be better then dealing with the spins.

• Played a round and had to abandon using this feature altogether. The spinning was giving me views like this one and making me completely disoriented. Off by 90+ degrees and wouldn't sit still.. good luck figuring out where you are in the greens that don't show such a landmark!

• It appears designed by someone that has never golfed. One hand doesn't know what the other.....

My free trial ended and I was then floored by the high monthly subscription price, so I cancelled. It was as high as my monthly subscription to Netflix, and double my annual subscription to Amazon Prime! 

• Can I receive an  update on this? The rotation around the greens is driving me absolutely crazy! There must be an EASY way to develop an option in the settings to allow for green view lock. It should behave similar to a car GPS that has a maps "face north" lock option.  

• I re-subscribed again to see where things stand regarding this feature. Today I did not receive the "green contour downloaded" message until Hole #9, so I had to play 8 holes without it (see feedback #1). Then when it was finally working, the rotation was still wonky and gave me unreliable data because I couldn't trust the starting point (see feedback #2).

Basically nothing has changed in 1 entire year. I think it is time to look elsewhere.