Bluetooth Smart

Does the S62 have bluetooth smart? Looking to broadcast my HR from the watch to a Peleton bike.

Also, if not, then how much extra battery does Ant+ use if the broadcast heart rate during activity is enabled? Just wondering whether it would burn too much battery during golf if I leave that setting on permanently. Thanks.

• Yes. You can broadcast your heart rate using ANT+ to compatible devices and in some rare cases, using Bluetooth. Whether or not Bluetooth will work, will depend on the Peleton bike software being compatible with the ability and working with our watch. For example, I can broadcast my OHR from one of my Garmin watches to a rowing machine using Bluetooth. The software on the rowing machine gives that compatibility.

Here is from the Approach S62 manual - Broadcasting Heart Rate to Garmin Devices. Bluetooth will definitely burn more battery compared to ANT+ and is not preferred when connecting to other devices.

If you are always connected to another product with Bluetooth, you will see a faster battery drain. However, most 3rd party devices you will Bluetooth connect to, are rarely for a long enough period of time where the impact will become a large concern. For our own APPS on your smartphone, the connection is not a constant connection but a connection of convenience as needed. This helps conserve the battery of your watch and smartphone.

• Thanks Garmin Chris. One question: will selecting broadcast heart rate during activity burn a lot of battery if the watch is not connected to another device? I’m wondering whether I can just leave that option on all the time (such as when I play golf and the watch will not be connected to another device besides my phone) without adversely affecting battery life. Thanks.

•  - Good question. Of all our Golf, Outdoor, and Fitness watches that have the broadcast OHR ability, I have not personally come across anyone that has tried leaving it on for long periods of time to see what happens. It would make logical sense if it caused more drain than normal but since it uses ANT+ to broadcast, it would be likely a minor additional drain.