This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Why is the watch not able to calculate VO2 Max?

Why is the Garmin Approach S62 not able to calculate VO2 max when watches for over a third of the price is able to do it like the Garmin Vivomove HR? Also for example the Garmin Fenix 6 is able to do it and from the looks of it it's the exact same heart rate monitor used on the Fenix 6 as the Approach S62.

• Also another question, why is the watch able to do a Pulse Ox reading but you can't sleep track with the Pulse Ox like other watches?!

• The watch was designed to only spot check your PulseOX when you manually run it as needed. (I apologize for initially saying VO2 Max on accident.)

• Is V02 Max the same thing as Pulse Ox?

• There is no VO2 Max at all on the Approach S62 unless you have missed to add it to the specification list, the manual AND I have missed to see it on the watch (which Im pretty sure i haven't)

And what about the Pulse Ox reading during sleep, why isn't it a future? For sure it's just a basic firmware update and it would be possible to do.

•  and 

I apologize for inputting VO2 Max above when I meant to say Pulse OX. In regards to the sleep question, it was a design choice to not be implemented. As for the VO2 Max, it is a metric that comes from 3rd party software by a company called First Beat. It was also a design choice to not implement it and turning the watch into a full on training watch. The watch is Golf focused.

• Yes it's golf focused but why leave out stuff that comes with watches that is 1/3 of the price?! I can understand leaving out the VO2 Max if it's like a license thing that you have to pay for each model but the Sleep Tracking with Pulse OX?

We are roughly paying the same price for the Approach S62 as the Fenix 6 and the only features we get over the Fenix 6 is 7 golf features, while losing out on like 60 other features, so atleast basic things like the sleep tracking that hasn't anything to do with training should be on there!

Also "blaming" it all by saying the S62 is Golf focused is kinda lame, since the Fenix 6 is training focused yet have most of the golf features while the S62 is golf focused while not having most of the training features. Heck even most of your mid tier watches have the majority of the golf features and more training/all around features than the S62 yet are not golf focused.

• What you say is fair given that there is more and more advanced technology being seen across our various watches in each segment. IE: Fitness, Outdoor, Golf, Marine etc. Consequently, the features available in each new watch model are more shared.

It is reasonable to say that given such a large variety of choices with each purchase, with thorough upfront research and with the added security of a timeline allowed to return a purchase back to the point of purchase allowing for testing of the watch to be done, everyone is able to make a choice on what watch fits them best.

• I defend Garmin where I believe your brand is right but it doesn’t seem forward thinking and almost downright petty the S62 doesn’t track PulseOx while we sleep, that’s hardly a function one would pay extra for or swap out for another type especially when the ability/function is present in the watch. The whole point of the S62 is for golf but why bother putting in mirrored functionality thats in other watches with the same capability to only neuter it in this watch?

• I understand you can't have basically the same functions in every watch since it would ruin the concept of having several watches, but some of the more "basic" features like the Sleep Tracking with Pulse OX and the VO2 Max should be standard in all the watches with a heart rate monitor.

Yes the S62 is a golf watch but it still has a heart rate monitor and some training functions and VO2 Max should be a standard thing in all watches with training capabilities since it is a nice way to track "training/condition" progress from the training you are doing. Same thing with the Sleep Tracking, it's not like there is a "Health" category for your watches and it's actually a really great feature for people that wanna check if they potentially have sleep apnea (also I don't see the reason why some watches can only track 4 hours why some can track a whole nights sleep)

To be honest it feels like you are starting to have too many different types of watches meaning you can't get a watch that does it all, like they say "Jack of all trades, master of none".

I know you probably can't decide what gets made or what the design choices is but could you atleast add as a suggestion to add basic things like Sleep Tracking, I mean after all it's a $600+ watch and is in your top segment of watches, it could really use some of the basic "none specific segment" features.

Also thanks for keeping the conversation going even though I might come across as abit angry.

• @ Chris, i'm nearly sure that pulse OX not tracking at night exception has been added  in the dedicated page after S62 release and perhaps after the first complain here. In fact, we were expecting a kind of S60 update with a basic vivosmart tracker but it operates far below this basic band...