WHS compliance

Dear Garmin,
Before to potentially spend a few euros in your last golf watch, and after reading the S60 fora, could you confirm me that the approach S62 is already compliant with WHS scorecards (including SSS and slope) or is there any plan to update the software in order to do so ?
thanks in advance

kind regards

• The new 2020 WHS handicap standard does not require any of our Golf watches to be updated with new firmware. The ability to input your handicap and adjust Index/Slope when needed is already built into the Approach S60 and newly released Approach S62 software.

• Dear Chris,

thank you for your answer. Does this mean that slope and SSS are included in the courses data (like in many free golf apps) or these have to be input manually ?

KR

• It is a setting in the watch itself. Once you have established your handicap, generally through hiring a Golf Pro and playing a variety of courses and multiple rounds of golf, you will take the end result data you were provided, and input it into your watch to impact all future rounds of golf.

• How does the Index/Slope function work? Im asking since it doesent seem to work when playing on my local course out of a 16.4 HCP, when i enter my HCP (and playing from yellow tee) it still adds an extra shot on every hole instead of just adding an extra shot on 16 holes, changing to shortest tee (red) it removes one shot but it should remove 2. Using local handicap works as intended but how come Index/Slope doesent work?

• This was taken from the Approach S62 manual - Enabling Handicap Scoring

Under Golf Settings in the manual, it goes into further detail:

Handicap Scoring

Enables handicap scoring. The Local Handicap option allows you to enter the number of strokes to be subtracted from your total score. The Index/Slope option allows you to enter your handicap index so that the device can calculate your course handicap.

• Ok update on this problem that I described, It still seems to be a problem after the 4.40 software update that added "World Handicap Support". For example, I am playing on a 13.5 HCP, which on Piteå Golfclub should be rounded down to 13 extra shots when playing from yellow tee (57 tee) but instead It's rounded up to 14. Same when checking Boden Golfclub using 13.5 HCP it should round up to 14 extra shots which it does, BUT if I enter 13.4 HCP it should round it down to 13 extra shots but it stays at 14 extra shots, so something seems off with the Index/Slope calculations done by the watch.

And using Local Handicap is a struggle since you have to manually change the number of added strokes depending on course even though you are playing on the same HCP.

• I am still confused how to enter my handicap now we have moved to WHS.  If I enter my handicap index of 16.8, for my local course, then the watch shows me losing a shot on hole 4 which is stroke index 18.  In reality a handicap index of 16.8 should be a playing handicap of 17.8 off the yellow tees, as the slope rating is 120; this would give me one shot on very hole.

I would expect under WHS for me to enter my handicap index and when I start a round the watch asks whether I am off white or yellow tees and then applies the correct slope rating and then calculates my course handicap.  Either the course maps do not have the correct information related to slope or the watch is not calculating handicaps correctly.  I can get a workaround by entering my course handicap as a local handicap on the watch each time I play a different course but I would have expected a £500 watch to do that for me.

Any suggestions gratefully recieved?

edited to correct playing handicap to course handicap!

• Dave I suspect you are doing the calculation incorrectly for WHS. What course are you talking about? I will check. You need Course Rating, Slope Rating, AND Par in order to calculate your course handicap.

• Hi Celeras.  From the R&A website "Depending on where you are playing your round and/or who you are playing with – you may or may not be required to include Course Rating and Par in this calculation. Check with the golf club, the Committee or the Authorised Association." My understanding, for England, is that we do not require course rating and par for the calculation as everyone plays off the same tees for a competition.

Information on www.my-golf.uk confirming that UK is different to USGA and Golf Australia in that course rating and par are not required for the calculation.

From the above, my handicap index is 16.8, the course I play has a course rating/slope index of 69.9/121 from the white tees and 68.7/120 from the yellow tees.  Under WHS I can calculate my course handicap by 16.8*120/113 = 17.8 (18) (for the yellow tees).  The S62 appears to do the calculation including course rating minus par (68.7 - 70 = 1.3) resulting in a course handicap of 16.5 (17) which is incorrect for play in England. 

It would be helpful if the S62 correctly calculated the Course Handicap for where the game is being played otherwise I am having to use a fudge each time I play a round of golf in the UK.

• Thanks for the information Dave. It was my understanding that the WHS was a unification of the rules and therefore all jurisdictions should be using "Course rating minus par". Apparently that is optional, and I found a rather long thread on golfwrx discussing the nuances in England: forums.golfwrx.com/.../

Apparently you only use it for 9 hole handicaps and really muddied the waters. Garmin may have to pivot with their implementation here, maybe can help.