S60 Locating satellites

Hi, I have recently, in the last few weeks, upgraded from a GolfBuddy WTX to a Garmin S60 GPS watch.

On the whole, I am delighted with the product, however, it really seems to take far to long to locate satellites. It can take over 10 minutes which is far too long. To put some context this, in the first occasion I used the watch, it wasn’t until I was on the  2nd green until it finally found a satellite. Therefore I have to remember to try to locate satellites when I park my car at the golf club to have any chance of it working from the 1st tee.

My old Golfbuddy used to take less than 2 minutes to work.

For comparison, I have a friend who has purchased a S70 we both turned on Golf Mode at the same time yesterday. His watch was up and running in less than a minute whilst mine was still still trying to locate for more than 15 minutes.

i have upgraded the software but this really is not acceptable.

For information the settings show the watch is on SW Version 8.9

Can you please come advise what I can do as I feel I should return the watch as not fit for purpose.

Many thanks

• Make sure you have the latest Satellite Almanac. the coe file is only valid for a few days:

https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=ZCFBNlxeiM3oipPmFoYfs7 

• Thanks for the response.

i don’t believe that applies to Approach S60

• best is to use Express Software to update cpe : 

• The initial comment from bluefish is referring to EPO (extended prediction orbit) or ephemeris data that is periodically updated in the background to devices with GPS receivers...like your Approach S60. This allows the watch to acquire satellite signal faster due to the watch knowing which satellites are the closest above at that time/day. 

Keeping your Approach S60 synced and up to date is important, as it allows the watch to locate satellites and display nearby courses quickly and accurately (30 seconds or so). 

The Garmin Support links provided in the comments explaining EPO is simply relevant to your watch being able to locate satellites quickly, relevant to your concern with the watch not locating satellites very fast. Updating your device through Express is also important to ensure your preloaded golf course maps are current for any changes or updates made to golf courses. 

• i don’t believe that applies to Approach S60

I wonder how you came up with that. It applies to the S60, just like any other satellite receiver that is operated worldwide.

The GPS satellites are not in a geostationary orbit. This means that they are constantly changing their position. To ensure that you still get a fast position fix (GPS fix), the receiver needs the EPO/CPE file. This is a data list of where which satellites are currently located. This file is only valid for a certain time, as the position of the satellites is constantly changing.

[External link removed]

With most Garmin devices, you can call up the validity status (current or expired) in the settings under "System - Info".
    The safest way to have the file valid when you need GPS is to connect the watch to the computer before the respective activity and synchronize it with Express. Express replaces the file on the watch with the most recent one. 

The mobile app does the same. However, you should make sure that the app is always running in the background and that the watch is constantly connected to the phone via bluetooth.

Comment edited: External link removed per terms of use. 

• Apologies, you are obviously very knowledgeable in this subject.

I came to to this conclusion as non of those files exist in my system menu.

I have connected to Express and verified that I have the most up to date software.

Having called support they verified all of this and are replacing my device.

Thank you for your input and support in trying help… ever day is a school day

• The About section of the Approach S60 does not contain the "Current EPO info" CPE = " section that all newer Garmin watches have referenceable directly through the watch. 

When you receive your replacement watch...please be sure to connect the watch to a Windows or Mac home computer > Install the Garmin Express program > Add your replacement S60 as a new device to the program and install all of the updates that will be showing for the watch. 

Then after updating, you can pair the replacement S60 to your smartphone through the Garmin Connect mobile app to sync the watch. Then take the watch outside with the sky directly above you and start a round of golf and you should get a pretty quick acquisition leading to the watch displaying the nearest courses to your location. 

More info can be referenced on the My Approach Golf Product is Unable to Acquire Satellites support page, which is relevant for both "not acquiring satellites" ...and "Slow to acquire satellites" when attempting to start a round of golf on the S60. 

Typically if the watch is slow to acquire...the user is indoors...below trees...or in an environment where GPS signal is blocked or reduced. Always ensure the sky is directly above you when starting a round of golf on the watch. 

• info can be referenced on the My Approach Golf Product is Unable to Acquire Satellites support page,
    The About section of the Approach S60 does not contain the "Current EPO info" CPE

But that is now very contradictory, because I have just called up the link you published, and it says exactly the opposite.

"You can check to see if EPO or CPE is current or expired in the About menu of your watch"

• I came to to this conclusion as non of those files exist in my system menu.

i would double check in the ABOUT menu :

> Settings > System > About.

(on some Garmin devices, the about menu has several pages, in which case you have to scroll down until the desired information is displayed).

the support article says following :

.."You can check to see if EPO or CPE is current or expired in the About menu of your watch. If your watch is showing your CPE as Missing or Expired, this can typically be resolved by syncing the watch with Garmin ExpressTm software or the Garmin GolfTm app as doing so will update the predictive orbit files."...

• As I stated in my previous comment to the thread, the Approach S60 does not display that information like newer Approach watches do. 

The support article is referring to other newer Approach products, and is not relevant to the About section of the S60.

I would be happy to submit a request for an edit to that article noting the S60 as an exception...but as Garmin a golf product expert who has immediate access to all of our Approach golf products...I have visually confirmed that the About section...nor any other menu on the watch...contains info for the EPO/CPE status. 

Please let me know if you have any questions. 

- Thanks