How to avoid the degeneration of the S60 charging contacts (besides cleaning and using dust caps)

The contacts are susceptible to corrosion. I have already experienced this twice now. I wear the watch not only to play golf but daily as a smartwatch.
Symptoms :
After a certain period of time (2 months for my first watch) you notice that the connection cable does not immediately make good contact and does not charge the watch.
A little manipulation of the connector will solve the problem. But beware, look at the connectors with a magnifying glass. You will notice that the gold layer is damaged and even has small holes.
In time, it will no longer be possible to charge the device.
Precautions :
- Always clean your contacts of the watch before charging it.
- Use silicone dust caps while wearing the watch.

In my second timepiece, I applied this method very strictly. I always cleaned the contacts and cable before charging and I always placed the dust caps when wearing the watch.  (24/24 7/7 )

This worked well until last month or so. Again I saw with a magnifying glass that the contacts at the back were affected and again it became difficult and later even impossible to charge the device.

In the meantime, thanks to the guarantee, I have received a second replacement device Approach S60.  (You have to take into account a repair time of about 6 weeks).

So today I have my 3rd Approach Garmin S60 in my possession. A refurbished device with perfect contacts.  Just to be on the safe side, I have now also bought a new charging cable from the Garmin  Webshop (original, brand cable, no ebay one).

In my opinion this is going to happen. The contacts are spherical and so is the latching cable. This means that the contact surface is very small and therefore also very susceptible to corrosion. After all, we are talking here about DC direct current. Here one always gets the effect of electrolysis by means of the inevitable skin sweat.

• I am on to my second watch because of a similar behaviour described here. Its barely 12 months old. charging but garmin express and PC doesnt detect it and now I have got the "no courses found"  problem and so cant reinstall my golf course map so pretty well useless! JordanM just reported similar problem but his watch is only a few weeks old so I wonder if there also might be another explanation?

• I found that the cable connector points were barely touching the watch contact points.
    I was able to fix the charging problem every cable by filing or sanding down the edges of the cable connector itself, not the watch side.

Now all my cables make good contact and have no issues with charging.

• Filing down the contact points is not recommended, as this will damage the pins and conductive coating per the design of contact between the pins in the cable's connector... to the contacts on the back of the watch. 

Some best recommendations to follow: 

• Clean the charging contacts on the back of the watch regularly with 70% or less isopropyl rubbing alcohol and a q tip in between rounds. 
    • Always ensure the contacts on the watch are completely dry and free of any debris or buildup prior to connecting the cable to charge. 
    • Avoid using any dust plugs offered for sale on 3rd party sites...as these can cause moisture to condensate or buildup in-between the charging contacts and the plug being attached...which can lead to corrosion or further damage to the coating on the contacts. 
    • Charge the watch on a flat and secure surface minimizing the risk of the watch falling down off the surface while attached to the cable. 
    • Do not allow the connector end of the cable to flex or wiggle around while attached to the watch when charging or connecting to a computer. 

Longer charging cables are sold through the site if more length is needed from the USB end of the cable to the connector end. Most devices come with a 0.5 meter length cable, and a longer 1 meter cable is offered through the site in the link here: https://www.garmin.com/p/696132/pn/010-12983-00

• This is clearly a design flaw that has been a part of Garmin golf watches for years that they know about but refuse to address adequately.  It is a way to get you to buy a new watch when you shouldn't have to.  The charging connection is a BS design, destined to fail.  You shouldn't have to buy dust covers, clean the contacts for each use, etc. for the watch to last a reasonable period of time.  Really irritating!

• Garmin does not recommend using dust plugs as they can cause issues with trapping moisture underneath the plug per my previous response. 

The recommendations outlined in my previous comment above will help to keep the contacts in proper working condition. 

More info can be found on the support pages relating to cleaning and wear/care linked below: 

Garmin addresses how to maintain and clean the watch per the in-depth steps and info outlined on the support site and main website.