Measured shot yardage is not correct on watch

Hi,

The shot by shot measured yardage is not correct when displayed on my watch, it is many yards too short. However when it uploads the score card and I view the details on the app, the yardages are all correct.

Yesterday I played a few holes and I specifically checked the distance of two drives. After playing the shot off the tee, when I arrived at my ball my watch was showing a drive of 262 yards, but it was on a 400 yard hole, and the watch was showing a remaining distance of only 100 yards left. When the scorecard uploaded after the end of the round, on the app this shot is correctly showing as 292 yards. Similarly, on another hole my watch said the shot distance was 245 yards, again too short given the remaining distance, and the app is showing this drive as 274 yards.

Why is the displayed shot distance so short?

• The short answer is that your watch is giving the measurements it believes to be accurate at the time it gave the readings. However, once it has all the math when you arrive to the pin, the information gets checked and corrected so when your scorecard is synced, it will be accurate.

• Thanks for the reply.

What I don't understand is how the yardage to the pin can be correct, but the measuered shot distance is incorrect, as surely this is just a bit of maths? If the watch knows the hole is say 400 yards long, and it knows the point the shot was taken, and after walking a certain distance it knows there is only 100 yards remnaining, then the shot distance has to be 300 yards?

It does this all the time now. Is there a way it can be re-calibrated so that the shot distance is correct?

• If a pattern and taking place consistently vs. one off and rarely taking place, there is an issue with your watch. Ensure your watch is fully up to date using Garmin Express on your computer.

If the behavior continues, there are two resets that may correct the behavior:

- Soft reset: Hold down your middle right button until your watch shuts off. Ignore anything that shows on the display during the process. Once off, let go of the button

Only if the issue continues after updating and soft resetting...process to the next reset.

- Restore Factory Defaults: Restoring Defaults

• The device is up-to-date, currently running version 7.40, and yes now that I am aware this is occuring, it appears to be all the time. However I have just noticed something a little odd. The unit settings on the watch for Distance, is currently set to meters. However, the golf app is definitely giving me all the distances for the holes in yards. The S60 manual says that if the garmin connect settings are different from those on the watch, then the watch settings could get overridden. Could it be that the measured distance is reverting to the unit of the watch and is showing the value in meters, even though all the other distances are in yards? The differences I am seeing a are not exactly correct for a yard/meter conversion, but they are also not a million miles away.

• Yes. There are 2 components to check and ensure they are all set to where you need them.

- The Golf APP Settings > Units of Measure and Golf Distance Units

- Your Approach S60 Settings > System > Units > Distance set to Yards or Meters

• Hi Chris, I have confirmed that the issue relates to the above settings. I would like to register this as a bug as there should be consistency here; how can I do that? I feel the most correct solution is that the measured shot should use the units from the golf app settings, just like the distance from the hole is doing. Or, alternatively, the distances should use the watch settings like the measured shot. Whichever is implemented would be better than what happens at the moment, as having them use different settings isn't correct.

Thanks

• I agree being able to also have a different impact on settings in the Golf APP vs. a golf product can make it a bit non-user friendly. I will be happy to amplify your voice on the matter. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

• Question on measuring, S12 measure a shot. When i select measure shot it shows 0 (zero)? Do you have to set it before you hit the shot, seems strange if so!! 

• To measure the shot you would need to begin measuring from the location where the shot was taken > Then proceed towards where the ball landed and end the measurement once you have arrived at the ball. 

You can select the measure shot option either right before taking or shot, or right after taking a shot...the important part is to begin measuring from where the shot was taken. 

The Approach S12 does not have the option of detecting when the shot is taken, so if using only the watch by itself, the shot measurement has to be taken manually. 

There is an option though for the Approach S12 to automatically track each shot during the round, which is possible if a 14-pack of Approach CT-10 club tracking sensors are paired to the watch. The Approach CT-10 sensors allow automatic club tracking for the specific club used, allows for scoring to be automatically accumulated, and allows for club distance averages to be recorded and referenced directly on the watch after using the sensors for a full three rounds with the sensors keeping score. 

The Garmin Support page in the link below has more info regarding shot detection on the Approach S12 for reference if needed: 

Using Shot Detection With the Approach G12 and Approach S12